Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone

Ive got a 2002 Legacy wagon 2.5l auto. It has AC which I never use up here in Canada. I was wondering if it would improve the mpg and zippiness if I disconnected the drive belt for the compressor. Im tempted to remove the entire unit for the weight but Im not sure I want to put in the effort of redoing the heater unit and rad etc. Also I might sell the car in the spring and having AC would help (altho I never understand that here in sunny ole Canada lol). The belt isnt in perfect shape so Im tempted to just slice it off with a box cutter but is there something Im not considering here? Thoughts?

Nope, if you don't want it snip the belt.  It's AC only.

It is recommended to run the AC every month or so to keep the o-rings lubricated and system working.

If you have not done that for years, it won't make any difference now.

Not much of any MPG change as it's just rotating a belt when the AC is off.  No load on  the engine.

• Like 1

Yes the ac is run for defrost. Dries the air, makes it quicker. Also helps keep the ac alive until summer. But you can live without it. I'd be shocked if you could notice a difference with a 2.5 engine. Maybe you can feel it when the ac is actually running, but when it's off, it's just the losses of the belt bending and the bearing.