Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Clutch disengaged during installation

Hey guys when i got the new clutch for my ea81 brat i went to put it on, and it's identical to the old one, and noticed there was about an 1/8th" gap and when i tightened the bolts down the fingers went flat and i knew it didn't look right but i was told by a few old mechanics that it was normal and would be fine, i finish the installation today and the car rolls while in gear, so what happened that the new clutch cover has that much of a gap, i mean yeah it's a new clutch disk but its not an 1/8th" thicker and yes i put the old cover on and it was the same, HELP!!!

Sounds like the flywheel was not machined correctly. These cars have a stepped flywheel, so the pressure plate mounting surface must have the same ammount of material removed as the disc mating surface. are you sure there isn't some other install issue like clutch cable adjustment or throw-out bearing or fork not seated correctly?

Alignment pins holding it up? Does the 1/8 gap between the cover and the flywheel disappear when you torque the bolts down (cover mounting flat and flush)? Its under spring pressure so there will be resisntance as you tighten it up. Thats how the clutch is engaged.

ISo the disc is tight and release fingers compressed due to proper contact or sandwiching? From what you are describing it sounds like the issue may lie else where in the system. Whats the play like when you jiggle the fork? You should be able to feel when the fork/TOB assy touches the release components but not tight or stuck. If that feels good, Ide hook up the cable and work the clutch. This may aide in your diagnostics, Im assuming the engine is bolted to the trans and mounts at least resting on the frame.

• Like 1

Alright if i did this right first two pics should show clutch cover with bolts loose no tension

post-62613-0-33852800-1478044292_thumb.jpgpost-62613-0-13866400-1478044360_thumb.jpg

And these two should show it bolted down and the fingers flat

post-62613-0-02514400-1478044435_thumb.jpg

post-62613-0-98227600-1478044498_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

Only thing i can think is the clutch plate is too thick pushing out on the pressure plate as it bolts down, I'll see if i can come up with a micrometer to measure the thickness.

The disk fits in the flywheel good

The splines match

I was doing an engine rebuild and the old clutch was worn almost to the rivets

This is the kit from rock auto for my car

BRUTE POWER MU476801

4WD; Diaphragm Style; 8-7/8 Inch Clutch Diameter; 21 Tooth Spline; 7/8 Inch Input Shaft Diameter [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] (Only 5 Remaining)

The pressure plate/clutch cover is identical to my old one and the clutch disk seems to be also only difference being that the old one is completely worn and the new one is new.

This kit is also the 8 7/8" set as thats what was in my brat

Just checked napa's website to make sure this set is right, their site says 1115013 is the right one for my brat, that would be the 7 7/8" set and I've already had to return one of those i bought on amazon, so no help there.

Wholesaler closeout indeed. Going on intuition and imagination Ide say you have a parts issue. Not alot of possibilities here. Weather its a defect or compatibility issue (not uncommon in the ea81 world) you may be looking for a new set. Its odd they appear the same as what was removed. Did put a caliper on the disks?

IIRC the fsm has the specs for disk inspection, Looking online at rockauto they list several options but the pics all look the same for the 8-7/8. Take your kit with you to the first auto parts store that says thay have the right kit for your car instock. Bring your caliper and compare your kit to the kit they have.

Edited by ihscout54

Well i feel like an spardnubbin for wasting your time, when i started taking the motor out i told my wife to pull the ebrake...... she pulled the 4wd lever into neutral....... so the input shaft was just spinning doing nothing, about to put motor back in, thank you ihscout54 for all the suggestions and help, excuse me now I've got a hole to dig....... just kidding.

• Like 1