Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Outback 3.6R poor low beam headlights

The HID low beam headlights on my 2010 Outback 3.6R are dim to the point of being dangerous. Despite mentioning this to the dealer every service, nothing has been done. Being now out of warranty, what steps can I take to improve the situation? I notice that the current model Outback has the same or similar lights, but are very bright. Any thoughts?

I've never seen HID lights that I thought were too dim. normally they're obnoxiously bright. How long has this been a problem?

HID bulbs do have a finite lifespan, after several years the light they start to burn at a lower temperature and the light they produce is less intense and of a more blue-ish/purple color.

Willow; Anytime your engine is running your daytime headlights will be on. Try this at night, If you turn on your headlight switch, low beams should get significantly brighter. If not something is wrong. Go back to your dealer to JUST to check the lights , no oil change no nothing , please fix my lights.  You have them ,they started daytime running lights on the 2000 year group.

Wow, thanks to you all for your replies. Let me answer  your questions. 

Firstly, forester 2002s. You are correct about DRLs in Australia. Matter of fact, after checking on www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au I found that the 2010 Outback does not have DRLs even as an option. The order of lamp illumination is: first setting, parking lights. This illuminates small quartz lamps in the corner of the high beam housing. second: low beam headlights are on. Third and last setting is the auto function. In both setting two and three the HID low beam lighting is the same intensity. I drove the car last night and it may be my eyesight, but since I last drove at night, I believe that the low beam was even duller than before. So, F4me, you may be right about the lifespan and deterioration of the lamps, but these lights have been, to me, unacceptable since day one. Co-incidentally, I have to return the car to the dealer due to a recall about the wiper motor, so I will take your advice mt, and hit them up for it. Don't like my chances, as they did nothing while it was under warranty, so what would compel them to do it now. However, will give it a go. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers.