Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester

Hello, newbie here trying to navigate around. I'm considering purchasing a Forester Limited within the next couple of months. What I would like to know from those who own Foresters is what are your gripes? Are the problems inherent to this model? Also what do you find special about them in comparison to the competition. Thank You

I'm looking at a 2017. Just wondering if any persistent problems are carried over year after year. They seem to have addressed the issue with the timing belt by going to a timing chain. I understand there has been a problem with many being oil burners and I'm not sure if its still an issue. I have heard that some have issues the rear hatch opening on its own, the fuel gauge not reading correctly and few other issues. Just wondering if they are widespread or just isolated issues. Some have said the light in the cargo are is not sufficient. The cargo area light can probably be fixed by adding a aftermarket light. I also have heard that they are higher in cost to service than comparable SUVs. On the upside I believe they hold their value better than most vehicles. Thank you for your response to my questions.

I will admit I haven't dealt with a 2016 or 2017 forester myself yet. But i have dealt with a 2015 model and have done a fair bit of reading on Subaru in general.

The timing chain that are now on these engines help keep the service costs down for sure. Usually timing chain's don't have issues for well over 300k miles which is certainly a plus.

The oil consumption issue has been on going (from what I've read) since they introduced the new generation engine in 2011/2012 (Engine code FB25) with the early models having serious issues causing the lawsuit many have heard about.

I believe that Subaru has been making on going changes addressing the oil consumption issue with every newer modeled engine put out.

And while i agree 2 qts of oil in 3k miles on a brand new car is just not right, boxer engines are going to consume oil. It's just the way they are built.

If the rear hatch does open on It's own (which I've only heard a very very small about of issues with it) that should be addressed immediately under warranty.

Fuel gauge, i personally haven't heard about this one, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few people out there with that issue.

In general, Foresters have very good vehicles for someone who wants an SUV type vehicle without carrying around the 4,500 pounds of metal. They have a good amount if head room, and leg room with seats adjusted properly.

Most of the cars with the new engine in them aren't old enough to truly tell how they hold up with 200k miles on them. And same goes for 2012-2017 forester's etc. But id hope that being a Subaru, they've designed another car and engine that can go 300k miles without thinking twice.

To address the little issues you're worried about. Again its hard to tell the little "stupid" issues that go wrong with cars. Like fuel gauge issues, rattles, squeak's, etc due to the fact that most of these cars don't even have 100k of them yet.

Either way, most issues you seem worried about should and would be covered under warranty. Just need to find a dealer who will take care of you and now steal your money.

If you want a new car(2017), and want the AWD, Plus leg, head, and cargo room as well as an SUV feel. I'm sure a 2017 Forester would do you just fine.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to buy. And hopefully some other members can weigh in and give you some more advice.

• Like 1

Thank you. I really don't need a SUV. The reason I am looking at the Forester is that it is highly rated for the all around visibility it provides, and the AWD and ground clearance. In Alaska the roads don't always get cleared well and most car cars ending up the using the front of their car as a plow, The trend seems to be is get the vehicle as low to the ground as possible. More reasons for choosing a Subaru is that they have a wide range of safety features and are top rated by insurance companies for the crash tests. I haven't found another automaker that offers what Subaru does for the price plus they seem to hold their value better than most. I'm looking at around $35,000 on paper for a Forester before talking with our only local dealer and there are only 2 dealers up here. Buying a vehicle can be stressful.  Oh one more thing, they don't seem to be a high priority to car thieves, unlike Honda.

Edited by cole4500