Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 loyale 4wd 5speed- "Needs water pump" good buy?

Long time, no Subaru. My Xt has been out for the count for the last few years with a blown headgasket and severe underbody rust.

I saw this loyale on Craigslist for $400. Dude says it needs a water pump. Should I be wary of a blown head gasket? Being single range, would this car be decent for mild offroading if I install a 2" lift and 28" tires? (I already have the lift and wheels+tires)

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5836457592.html

Anyone interested in buying a rusty intercooled 87.5 Xt awd turbo with $2,500 worth of new parts? It was my daily before I parked it.

If it's rust free, and otherwise decent shape. If the headgaskets are original, they usually need to be redone anyway, due to oil leaks. Needing a water pump may or may not indicate that it's been overheated. Has it been run over normal temperature while low on coolant? That has been the sure way to kill headgaskets in my experience.

thats one from my area. I know if you'd stuff larger tires on it with the single range, it won't crawl, it'll be tall gearing. We even have a dual range with lift and big tires and it wont climb anything close to the stock dual range wagon with stock tires. Tall tires, tall gearing. My nephew called about that $400 wagon couple weeks ago but never got a call back. I suspect head gasket as well. 

pretty much goes like this:

Ask why it needs a water pump... The only way subaru waterpumps really fail is they leak externally. If he says it needs a new waterpump because it overheats, it's BS. It has headgasket issues or something.

but yeah - either way, it comes down to your own time, abilities, and needs.  even if it needed headgaskets - a reseal, new timing components, and tune up could land you in a 100,000 mile reliable vehicle for $1,000.