Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to fix my mom's outback

Marc5852

Hi,  Hope someone here can help me out.  My mom called me,  and what happened was she grabbed the wrong gas jug and dumped kerosene into her '97 Outback impreza  2.2L,  5 speed.  She thinks about 1 gallon  of kerosene, and the best she could estimate is that there was 2 gallons  of gasoline left when she accidentally dumped the wrong fuel (kerosene) in.  So I estimate about a  30% kerosene to 70% gasoline  based on what she remembers.  She drove it about 30 miles before realizing her mistake,  and then the Outback started losing power.  I pulled the fuel pump and siphoned the bad fuel out,  put in a new fuel filter,  and put in clean gas for her.  But the car is still not working.  It just won't drive more than an average of 10 mph,  and it dies constantly.  I am not sure where to go from here or how to fix this for her.   What all do you think she wrecked? I hope she didn't trash the engine.  I am thinking the next step to get this car running might be to take the fuel injectors out and clean them.  But if that doesn't work,  I am not sure what to try.  Thanks a lot for any help and ideas you can offer with this situation.

Edited by Marc5852

Thanks janas 19.  I'll replace the pump,  and if it's still not working,  I'll clean the injectors.  I wish I had more experience with this situation--(wait maybe I'm glad I don't).  Do you think she damaged the engine,  (rings or pistons)

?

Nah, engine should be fine. One thing you might try, disconnect the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and open the throttle. If the problem changes, then you were likely getting enough fuel pressure. If the problem stays the same as before, then likely the bad pump.

Edited by janas19

lessons about not putting the wrong fuel in a vehicle notwithstanding....

i would guess the engine is fine you just need to get the kerosense out or diluted to a benign level. 

I wouldnt' replace any parts yet, definitely not th pump.  guessing and throwing parts often leads to lots of work and time and parts costs.  and aftermarket fuel pumps aren't as reliable as OEM.  leave that OEM pump for the moment until you know it's an issue.

And besides - you can do some really easy/simple testing that requires almost no work, parts, or time.  The description may be lengthy but I can literally do this test i like 5 minutes or less:

A. pull the main fuel line before the fuel filter - then turn the key to "on" (not start) a few times (the fuel pump automatically cycles for like 2 seconds every time the key turns to on to prime the system).  You can have a bucket/cup under the hose if you're the paranoid type, i just do it as a quick test and let it go all over the place.  But make your decision based on your abilities there.

Do it a few times to purge the kerosene out of the lines and take note of the flow - is it trickling out or flowing steady like a garden hose?  

B. do the same test but after the fuel filter - to see if the fuel filter is the problem. 

C.  fill the gas tank to full to dilute any residual kerosene in the tank

By doing that very easy/simple work with a screwdriver only - you'll probably narrow the issue down significantly. 

I'm not sure how to easily drain/test the intake manifold - but I presume i might think about and ask if i can just pull all the injectors and do the same key cycling to push fluid all out of the intake manifold? 

and then let all that gas air out before you do anything or have towels all under it so you can pull them out....etc.