Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber ea81

I know this topic has come up countless times, but i never seem to fully get the answers i need when browsing existing posts. Never mind my brat that im planning on putting my rebuilt weber on sometime this winter.

Currently im trying to get my 88 gl running right. When i purchased it, it already was running a weber (the same one thats gonna go on my brat), but somewhere in its past the stock turbo ea82 got sloppily swapped to a n/a ea81. I was desperate for a car at that time and couldnt pass up this car. No idea what happed to the ea82, but thats what i got. Few months later it blew head gaskets. The temp sensor was never hooked up, so over heated probably lots of times. Did the head gaskets in a hotel parking lot, but it wouldnt run, so i had to take a bus home.

Fast forward a year to today. Found out the original reason it didnt run was bad coil wire. Thats replaced, wiring on engine fixed including remp sensor and I have a brand new 32/36 weber w/manual choke bolted to the intake (old one had all gaskets deteriorate, and new carb was faster). We got it running, but oh my is she under powered. My craptachi brat pulls at least 5 or more times harder than this. I dont know if the lifters are just being weird and not opening my valves (fluids not drained when head gaskets done, so fluids mixed), if im too rich or lean, its just weird. I have new plug, wires, coil, disty pieces. Throttle doesnt seem to want to hold one position very well, even with the addition of another throttle return spring, and is very slow to rev up. I did turn in the idle mix screw till its just over 2 turns out, but that didnt help much. Any tips or pointers on setting up a new weber will be much appreciated. Doesnt need to be perfect, just run run for 2000 miles and i can fully rebuild it properly

I kindly suggest you to point exactly which Questions you do have.

However, by reading what you wrote, I understand that you installed a Weber 32/36 carb on an EA82 engine, and the thing revs up slowly; so two things comes to my mind; first, the timing should be advanced to ~ 20º despite that the carbureted EA82's are intended to run at ~ 8º and, also the accelerator pedal Might be not moving enough the throttle plate on the carb, if the cable isn't properly hooked.

Other things might be affecting and making things even more sluggish, such like a year old Gasoline, clogged fuel / air filters, PCV system / valve fails, stuck open EGR valve, etc... 

Good Luck, Kind Regards.

The engine is an ea81, not an ea82, and apologies, vague questions and poor wording is what happens half asleep at 130 in the morning. The direct questions i was refering to more go with my brat when i swap the carb.

Im more looking for troubleshooting help right now. There are a few questionable vacuum system routings, but no leaks and they ran before so, not so worried about those right now. Loyale, how much of an effect could old gas have? Ive run some old gas before, but never felt anything close to whats happening now. Aa well i know that my throttle cable is at least opening far enough to open the secondary on the carb, so that shouldnt be an issue at all. And naru, i will definitely try dropping the headers and see what i get.

Checked the plugs and one of them had less than a mm of gap. Pulled it out to match the others. Now have maybe 2 times the power, but still not full. Got a few miles toward home depot and it over heated, which im pretty sure is due to a clogged thermostat. Heading to get a new thermostat now

So little update. Fixed poor cooling, we pulled the rocker convers and valves apear to be functioning right. Ran a compression test, and huge issue. Cylinders 1 and 4 have about 150 psi. cylinders 2 and 3 have zero. Adhusted the valves properly this time and same story. Bent valves. Giving car to a friend here in houston

Edited by zmarrott