Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lower transmission cooling line leaking after radiator replacement

I replaced my radiator last week with a Carquest unit.  One problem; the lower transmission cooling line hose was almost impossible to get off.  I cut a half inch or so.  In re-installing it I thought I had enough hose to effect a tight fit.  I guess not as much as I have tried to fix this myself, but didn't really do it right.  Do I need to take the radiator out again, how do real mechanics do this job?

Is it leaking from the hose or from the fitting into the radiator? I've had aftermarket Koyo radiators leak from the fitting straight out of the box. I now make sure they're tight before installing.

If it's coming from the hose, you might want to replace it with either an aftermarket hose or one from the dealer. Also, I highly am against anything except a factory hose clamp.

OK, it started leaking like a ba$tard getting worse. Not totally sure it is the hose. I guess I have no choice but to get it back out to make sure everything is tight.  And aftermarket bronze inflow outflow units aren't the best fit in that limited space, right up against the bulkhead.

Edited by ThosL

The new radiator didn't come with the new fittings for the cooler?

Normally if I replace a radiator on an automatic I just spend the $15 on new Atf cooler hoses and replace them as well. If the steel lines that run along the frame rail are rusted up I just run new hose all the way to the trans.

How old are the radiator hoses? Thermostat?

Edited by Fairtax4me