Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What year/model OEM wheels are same size as on '08 Impreza?

I will likely be buying a 2008 Impreza 2.5i 5sp manual sedan from a family member. I'm looking for an extra set of used wheels for mounting dedicated winter tires. The car has OEM "10-hole" steel wheels, 16X6.5JJ:ST, 55 mm offset, 5x100.

I went to the Subaru website to see what other years and models used this wheel, part # 28111AG170. Under the "What this fits" tab, it shows this wheel was used only on the '08-'11 Impreza sedans and wagons.

Looking up steel and aluminum wheels for this car on car-part.com, they show salvage yard listings for only the '08-'11 Imprezas (consistent with the Subaru site) for the '08 Impreza.

On another thread someone commented that many year/model Subarus will accommodate the same wheels.

I know that if the steel wheels are not exactly the same, there can be a problem with the wheel covers fitting. I ran into that with the rims I bought from a junkyard for my '93. I will consider used aluminum wheels too.

Tire Rack has aftermarket steel wheels w/50mm offset vs. the OEM 55mm.

Can someone shed some light on what year/model OEM wheels are the same fit as the factory originals?

Any Impreza wheel 15" plus size will work. A few 'special' models like the RS had a different offset ( 53mm ) but would still work. 'Standard' Impreza wheels are all 55mm. You could get a 15" and run 195/65/15 ( OEM 15" size ) or 205/55/16 ( OEM 16" ). Some premium models had 17" but they are still 55mm

I had thought of using a 195-65-15 tire/wheel combo but was concerned about clearance around brake components. You're saying that works, so that's another option. I found a set of 16" tires on OEM aluminum wheels for sale that are from a '05 Legacy. Will Legacy rims fit?  Looking at the Subaru website tells me they are 16x6.5JJ 55. How could they not fit? The "what this fits" tab lists various Legacys from 2003-05 using this wheel.

All the way up to at least 2016 ( 2017 Impreza is new ), base model Impreza's use steel 15" wheels with 195/65/15" and the 195/65/15 is actually .10" bigger in diamater than a 205/55/16.

I thought Legacy had a different offset but if Subaru says they are the same, then they will work. Outback/ Forester are 48mm just an FYI

Looking into it a bit, it looks like the base Impreza sedan came with 15" wheels through the 2001 model year.

From 2002 through 2011, while the Impreza still used the 2.5 engine, the base model came with 16x6.5 wheels and 205-55-16 tires.

In 2012, when they started using the 2.0 engine, they went back to 15x6" wheels with 195-60-15 tires.

The car is running with the stock wheels and tire size. The wheels are 16x6.5JJ, and the stock all-season tires are 205-55-16.

I just don't want to go through the trouble of buying used rims only to find out there's something about the wheel profile that doesn't fit, even though I have the dia, width, and bolt circle right.

The steel wheels available at tire rack are the same size except for the offset (50mm vs 55mm), and it appears from what you say that there would be no problem with the wheels sticking out about 0.2 inch more to the sides.

Thanks for your help.

It looks like the reason the salvage yard listings show only 2008 and newer is because tire pressure monitoring systems became the OEM standard in '08.

I found a helpful link that lists OEM tire & wheel specs for all models of Subarus going back a number of years.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html#impreza

Edited by BB's93LegacyL

I see nothing in the OE catalog listing 15" wheels for '08-'14 Impreza.

But, your '08 should have the 276mm front brakes, which should clear any subaru 15" wheel just fine.

So yea, any 15" or larger Subaru 5x100 (All SVXs, Tribecas, '05+ STi, '14+ WRX, and '15+ Legacy/Outback are all 5x114.3) wheel should fit just fine on the car. I can't speak at all to wheel cover fitment, I've never bothered.

Many Legacies and Outbacks run a +48mm offset wheel, which will stick out a bit more, but shouldn't be an issue as long as your tires are the same outer diameter as stock.

I see nothing in the OE catalog listing 15" wheels for '08-'14 Impreza.

But, your '08 should have the 276mm front brakes, which should clear any subaru 15" wheel just fine.

So yea, any 15" or larger Subaru 5x100 (All SVXs, Tribecas, '05+ STi, '14+ WRX, and '15+ Legacy/Outback are all 5x114.3) wheel should fit just fine on the car. I can't speak at all to wheel cover fitment, I've never bothered.

Many Legacies and Outbacks run a +48mm offset wheel, which will stick out a bit more, but shouldn't be an issue as long as your tires are the same outer diameter as stock.

Looks like the Impreza base models including and after 2012 (2.0L and 2.0i) used 15 inch wheels. Thanks for your knowledge and input. But the 114.3 bolt circle diameter won't work. I understand what you are telling me about the 15 inch wheels, and I appreciate your help. Thank you.