Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2001 Outback wagon (4 cyl), and I am planning to change the front differential seals. I have seen two different setups for the front seals, is this car the one with the retaining cups that have to be removed in order to change the seal and the O-ring? Are there photos or videos of this procedure with my differential?

Also, assuming this car does have the retaining cups, I understand that they have to be installed exactly as they were to prevent damage to the differential. I plan on marking the position and counting the number of turns, etc. But this car has something like 180,000 miles on it, meaning a lot of wear and different tolerances than when the car was new. So I'm wondering if there is a way to do this adjustment at home, or is it just a better idea all around to keep things the way they were?

Unless it's a serious leak I would just leave them alone.

Pretty sure the 01 still has the type that have to be knocked out from inside the cup, which means careful marking and counting the number of turns when you remove it. Later years I think around 04 they changed it so the seals are on the outside and more easily replaceable.

I would not try to adjust the clearance on the diff gears. Put it back exactly the same way. It has made it this far on that setting... No point changing it.