Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99legacy 5sp. Recently my engine developed squeaking that sounds like belt squeaking. I checked the tension and condition of the two visible blets (not the timing) - they both have correct tension and are in good shape.I bought the car used last year with 127K miles. Now it has 146K miles. What could be the reason of this squeaking? Should I replace those belts anyway?

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

Guest lothar34

Was the timing belt replaced before you bought it? It's supposed to replaced at 105,000 miles. If it has never been replaced, I would not drive the car again until it is.

Does that particular model 5sp have a cable actuated clutch? If so, with the car running (and sqeaking), grab hold of the little fork thing where the cable adjustment nuts are. See if the squeaking stops.

I began to hear similar squeaks this past week and I've had all might belts tightened or replaced recently, so I knew that wasn't it. I had recently adjusted the clutch cable because it was a bit too loose. That's when I noticed the squeaks. I tightened it up a bit and the squeaks went away.

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...