Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More motor swap questions..

I found an '87 XT today for $325. 115k and he says it runs good. Supposing it is not a turbo is this motor still fuel injected? DId they have carbed XT's? Will the motor from an auto bolt up? (just change the flywheel?)

I talked to the not-so-local Subaru guy. (probably close to 100 Soobs in his backyard) He is about 40 minutes away. He told me probably just dirt in the carb. He told me to run it hard for a while. 70psi is normal in an older motor like that. (150,000) I think I am going to go with the motor I have. I need to install oil pump seals, rear main seal, water pump, thermostat and a few hoses. I will put it back in and see what happens.Now that I am thinking about it I used to have an old '84 wagon that did the same thing. I revved the hell out of it and then put my hand over the top of the carb until it almost died. I did that a few times and it sucked the dirt through and ran normal after that.

I should dig out a pic of that wagon. One hot looker. Never seen another like it. It had factory air, sunroof, power windows and locks, cruise and digital dash.

Again, no carbed XTs. Yeah, run some good good fuel injection cleaner thru it, like, 3 bottles/cans in 1/2 a tank. Run it WOT as much as you can. :devil: After all, thats how SUBARUs are designed, WOT all the time! ;)