Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for intake for 89 XT GL

Hello all, I'm new to this forum.  I have owned my 89 XT GL  for about a year now with minor problems but overall satisfied.  I am having a hard time locating any kind of parts for this thing and was hoping to get some knowledge from you guys.  First is there any short or cold air intakes made to fit for the 1.8l? 2nd, has anyone fabricated a short ram themselves.  i was thinking i could fab something up to relocate the MAF closer to the manifold and then just put a short pipe and cone filter on the end of it to free up some of that engine noise i love so much.  I'm just trying to get ideas of how i want to go about it.  I'm not kidding myself i'm not trying to make this thing go fast because nothing short of a swap to the turbo 6 would do that lol.  I've already put a subtle performance muffler on the back and I'm just trying to get the front to match in sound.  any help of comments are appreciated.

There wont be any "bolt on" solutions for you. I have an 87.5 xt gl with the same motor. Doing a short ram will do more harm than good, as it will suck in hot underhood air. The stock system has a cold air tube in the fender. If you want the growl, replace the plastic from the maf to the intake. Don't forget to plumb in the pcv lines, or your subie will mark its territory in oil everywhere you go :)