Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering leak in 2001Legacy sedan

Hello all,

I've had a power steering leak in my '01 Legacy base model sedan for about a month. I have to put ATF into the reservoir every 3-4 days. I can't see any leaks from the pump when the engine is running. I have put the car up on ramps and watched from underneath, also can't see any active leaks.

The fluid seems to be accumulating at the middle of the steering rack, where there's a small plate that mounts with four bolts and connects the engine subframe and another structural member. Took the plate out. Still can't see the leak.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Steering seems to be OK when the fluid level is full, but there's an occasional grinding feeling in the steering wheel when returning from lock to center -- air bubbles in the system?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff in Boston

Probably coming from one of the lines where it runs across the back of the rack, or from a fitting where the lines attach to the spool housing.

Most steering rack leaks end up running toward the center of the lower crossmember and drip down the center. Follow the lines and you'll find it.