Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Wheel Play

jread

Been looking into my steering wheel play on my GL but have no idea what to search for. 

The issue isn't in any of the steering components but the actual wheel shifts from one side to the other in the column. Especially noticeable since it doesn't have power steering. 

What would cause this? Whats it called so I can search and fix it?

Not sure if this is the problem your having. I had a slight amount of play if you pushed and pulled on the steering wheel. I found my steering wheel was loose on the shaft splines, the nut was only finger tight. Not sure if it got left loose or worked loose. Before I tightened it I made sure my steering wheel was centered to the steering rack.

• Like 1

colemanapp has mentioned the steering u-joint and I think that my be my car's problem when it is not  moving and the experience of having to turn the wheel hard. Someone before me removed the power steering components and 'manualized' it due to a leaking power steering hose and so it binds on turning the wheel while standing still. It seems fine otherwise but does have hardly noticeable freeway play. I would check it, still, it is a possibility.

Edited by lrgvanman

If you mean the actual steering wheel shifts from one side of the column to the other as you turn, then your upper support bearing is toast. It may or may not be a serviceable part and may or may not still be available if it is. You'd have to call a dealer to check. if it is shifting like that, DO NOT drive it. The wheel could lock up on you and that would be no bueno. Easiest fix would be a used column from the jy.

• 3 weeks later...