Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy, EJ22 Engine (I think) - Won't Start, Already Tested Fuel Pump and Pump Voltage

My car always starts on the second crank. The last day or two, it's turned over four or five times before it starts, but after starting, it ran fine. Not missing or hesitating or anything.

Shut it off last night. Went to start it again. After several cranks it fired up but, died again when I put it in gear. Turned the key again. Engine turned over but, it wouldn't even hit.

Waited fifteen minutes. Tried again. This time it started immediately, but only ran for about two or three seconds, then quit again.

All symptoms pointed to a bad fuel pump. This morning I tested the power to the pump... I don't have an actual test light... I had to use a mulitimeter so, I couldn't actually see a +12VDC reading before the safety switch shut the power off but, I did see the voltage jump so, there's something there.

Then I removed the pump. It still had gas in it so, I tested it with a bucket of water, and it sprayed water about two feet.

So, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the pump. It started up a couple of times, however briefly, so I don't think it's a timing issue either. The same with spark. It seems to be getting fire, at least sometimes.

I'm guessing it's the ignition module or the crank sensor? But, I don't know how to test these parts.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for your time.

Edited by tech-mechanic

• 2 weeks later...

I remember on my 92 the cam sensor literally fell out because someone before me reinstalled it with a bolt that was too short. I had similar symptoms as you, until she stopped running entirely when my gf was driving to work. I used my old Camaro to tow her to work and discovered the cam sensor issue. Luckily I had a bolt that fit in my tool box. Plugged it back in, all good. Might be worth checking, it sounds like you could be having injector issues, which is cam sensor related. I wish I knew how to test one, but I am sure there is a way!

Edited by sparkyboy

is the battery relatively new? im sure there are many more experts here but in my experience these cars run on almost no power till they dont. i mean youre getting headlights? there was a recall for alternators a long time ago on these. or how about the fuel filter?

Edited by 1997reduxe