Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 swap into first generation brat

• 2 months later...

I did this. I have a 79 brat with a 84 ea81 and 4spd. To get the motor to fit I had to remove the shield around the steering shaft on the cross member. I also had to shave the drivers side bottom engine stud a bit.

The mounts on the tranny need to be moved to the rear mounting position. There are four tapped holes toward the back of the tranny.

Use the brats original drive line.

I'm running a weber with no fuel return line. There's no way to easily set up a return system.

Brats CV will work. Use the four speeds shifter. The linkage works without any welding. The original 4wd lever won't work. I'll post a picture of my easy bolt in solution.

The ea81 has a internally regulated alternator. You need to remove the stock external regulator on the brat. Theres a guide on how to wire to bypass it on the forms. Pretty simple stuff

• Like 1

I did this. I have a 79 brat with a 84 ea81 and 4spd. To get the motor to fit I had to remove the shield around the steering shaft on the cross member. I also had to shave the drivers side bottom engine stud a bit.

The mounts on the tranny need to be moved to the rear mounting position. There are four tapped holes toward the back of the tranny.

Use the brats original drive line and CV axles.

I'm running a weber with no fuel return line. There's no way to easily set up a return system in stock form. Use the four speeds shifter. The linkage works without any welding. The original 4wd lever won't work.I'll post a picture of my solution to this.

The ea81 has a internally regulated alternator. You need to remove the stock external regulator on the brat. Theres a guide on how to wire to bypass it on the forms. Pretty simple stuff

Edited by kirzick