Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all. I have been asking around on some forms about the SJR lifts. They seem great. I was wondering if anyone had any idea how much/long this would usually take a experienced mechanic? I am aware they some parts need to be modified and of course it would be different for each person. Anyone have any insight on this? Thank you!

It will depend entirely on what car you are lifting, and which kit you are using (basically how much lift, but sometimes there are different options at the same height).

Absolutely sorry i forgot to mention that. right now i have a 2006 wrx wagon , lifted with king springs , and 225/45/r18 wheels. Its a more aggressive performance wheel set up (bought it that way). I was going to do a 4 inch lift and then probably get 15 or 16in wheels with fatter tires on. Im so curious about these lifts because of the engine factors. I have a perrin pitch stop mount and also a cobb sf air intake. I don't know how lowering the engine would affect these so I'm trying to figure this all out before i do it. Another option i am looking at is a sumo parts 2 inch lift. This seems a little more economical. However i plan on having this car for a long time and want to be able to do a lot of trails colorado has to offer. I also appreciate your prior response man.

Yea, so you'd be looking at this kit:

http://sjrlift.com/index.php/catalog/lift-kits/0-4-lift-kit-ej-fits-90-99-detail

I would imagine a good mechanic with a lift and such could do the install in a day (6-8 hours).

That's assuming they don't have to mess with broken bolts (I don't think Colorado cars have rust issues like we do in MN). And not including waiting on parts.

With a lift of that style, the engine/transmission is lowered 3" in relation to the body. So everything that goes between them will be effected. Things like radiator hoses, A/C hoses, etc. These are the kinds of things that most shops don't want to deal with, as it means down time with their hoist tied up and no pay for it (or they charge you the labor rate for the down time...).

Yes, your pitch stopper and intake will be an issue as well, but so would the stock one.

If you're paying to have it done, you're probably better off getting just a 2". I'm sure Scott @ SJR could make 2" strut top spacers for a macpherson Subaru, even though they're not specifically listed on the site.

Something also to consider. In order to run a larger diameter tire, you'll need to swap for Forester struts, which will give you some lift as well.

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 2

Yea, so you'd be looking at this kit:

http://sjrlift.com/index.php/catalog/lift-kits/0-4-lift-kit-ej-fits-90-99-detail

I would imagine a good mechanic with a lift and such could do the install in a day (6-8 hours).

That's assuming they don't have to mess with broken bolts (I don't think Colorado cars have rust issues like we do in MN). And not including waiting on parts.

With a lift of that style, the engine/transmission is lowered 3" in relation to the body. So everything that goes between them will be effected. Things like radiator hoses, A/C hoses, etc. These are the kinds of things that most shops don't want to deal with, as it means down time with their hoist tied up and no pay for it (or they charge you the labor rate for the down time...).

Yes, your pitch stopper and intake will be an issue as well, but so would the stock one.

If you're paying to have it done, you're probably better off getting just a 2". I'm sure Scott @ SJR could make 2" strut top spacers for a macpherson Subaru, even though they're not specifically listed on the site.

Something also to consider. In order to run a larger diameter tire, you'll need to swap for Forester struts, which will give you some lift as well.

Good lord you know much! Thanks so much! Ive also heard if you are running forester struts you can only do a 1 inch lift? Anyone want to confirm that?

I wouldn't use strut spacers at all with a forester strut lift unless I was also installing drivetrain blocks.

The reason Scott's (or others) 4" kit comes with 3" blocks for the engine, transmission, and rear diff crossmembers, is to lessen CV axle angles.

So, you could go with Forester springs and struts. 2" Strut blocks, and 2 or 3" Subframe blocks which would yield about a 4" overall lift.

• Like 2

I wouldn't use strut spacers at all with a forester strut lift unless I was also installing drivetrain blocks.

The reason Scott's (or others) 4" kit comes with 3" blocks for the engine, transmission, and rear diff crossmembers, is to lessen CV axle angles.

So, you could go with Forester springs and struts. 2" Strut blocks, and 2 or 3" Subframe blocks which would yield about a 4" overall lift.

Ok thats good to know. I was thinking maybe i could do the forester struts with my king springs and then perhaps the sumo parts blocks. Its been really fascinating to learn about how the suspension works (still really have no idea how it works haha). Its definitely fun to have a lifted subie though

• Like 1