Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mine are average generic tools and they absolutley suck, i can sort of get it to work on some depending on proximity of adjacent structures and how many iterations i want to try with angles, spacing, degrees, but not all and not without ensuing WWF.  I'm pretty sure I started a thread years ago about what versions people use, find that thread.  

I have a socket bolted to one end of some allthread and a cam sprocket on the other end.  Maybe I had to cut a notch out of the socket to extract the retainers i think?  I just wedge the cam sprocket under my underarm and put the socket on the spring cap thing and just go to town by hand/body weight/brute force method.  

makes me feel like a man doing an entire head by hand. 

• Like 1

Mine are average generic tools and they absolutley suck, i can sort of get it to work on some depending on proximity of adjacent structures and how many iterations i want to try with angles, spacing, degrees, but not all and not without ensuing WWF.  I'm pretty sure I started a thread years ago about what versions people use, find that thread.  

I have a socket bolted to one end of some allthread and a cam sprocket on the other end.  Maybe I had to cut a notch out of the socket to extract the retainers i think?  I just wedge the cam sprocket under my underarm and put the socket on the spring cap thing and just go to town by hand/body weight/brute force method.  

makes me feel like a man doing an entire head by hand. 

Yes. Just found that thread. I do Subarus for fun. Don't mind spending money for one thats easy to use. 

For most modern heads you want one with the removable collets on the spring end that can reach down into the head. There are some inexpensive kits on eBay that have several different sized collets for doing many different sized valves. The screw types take a little more time to use, but they're probably the easiest to set up and use. There are some air powered ones that work really well and are super quick, but are expensive.