Ultimate Subaru Message Board

webercarbsdirect-Have i been burned?

ok so my buddy bought his weber from weber carbs direct. it runs great, but after doing lots of research we figured out he was burned and it IS a fake from the company interco. well that leads me to my newest problem, i trusted him to get me the right carb and he ordered it from weber carbs direct and not pierce manifolds. i have seen some real 3236 come outof weber carbs direct complete with made in spain cast on the body and also th white choke cap. i dont want to deal with waiting three weeks for a refund and need my car running as of a week ago. should i chance it an try to run it? has anybody dealt with them before and had a positive or negative product? ( i mean used their product not a pissing match experience). i before have ran ebay parts, my old 240sx gave vipers a run until i crashed it drifting at the track lol. i am nit by any means putting down this business i just need to know truth. thanks in advance

The truth is real webers are made in Italy, not Spain. The ones made in Spain aren't bad, in fact I think the one I've been running on my ea81 for years says made in spain.

I say tune it and run it. What's the worst that's gonna happen ?

They are another weber clone, those units from interco happen to be made in China. IIRC didnt they get in some trouble because they claimed "assembled in the usa" and the only assembly was putting them in the box? Or was that EMPI? There is the competitavely priced thing too, but we Americans seem to get what we pay for. The way they are advertised is a little scetchy, and it likely causes many of their customers to install and run without ever knowing that their carb isnt the real thing. In this modern global system so many things are this way, you have to ask what is the real thing? The carbs are made to spec (or so they claim) jets and components supposedly interchange and material quality meets somebody's spec.

Actual reviews seem ok but rare, theres more name calling and baseless liabel on the net about them because they are made in Asia. These reviews I read were blasting products like the carb you ordered or "knock off China garbage" and it sounded like many folks were ,in their minds, smart enough not to buy such things. Im sure they have a house full of foreign made items just like the rest of us, but certainly not a weber with a black choke cap. Call it bad with out ever touching one.... Im more of an innocent befor proven guilty guy and if I was in the same situation as you Ide take the above advice and tune/run with no fear. Unless of corse some board memeber has a horror story to share about this exact product.

As soon as you take the carb out of the box torque check all screws, especially the throttle butterfly's. Then proceed. Please keep us updated and maybe give us an honest review.

Edited by ihscout54

i guess it is close enough to getting a tax return that i can chance it. i plan on doing a full review of the product. i will be the guinea pig and run it into the ground. i ran a wastegate on my 500hp 240sx that was made by godspeed. it held up, never leaked or spiked so i cant say all copies are bad. it should be here friday, so hopefully saturday afternoon will be a first start up and drive.

I did the same thing about two years ago. The only issue I have had so far is the choke screws backed out. Which could have been loose when I received it.

So I took it apart and used some medium loctite to hold them in and haven't had a problem since.

The truth is real webers are made in Italy, not Spain. The ones made in Spain aren't bad, in fact I think the one I've been running on my ea81 for years says made in spain.

I say tune it and run it. What's the worst that's gonna happen ?

The truth is real webers have not been made in Italy since the factory closed in 1992.

The production tooling was moved to Spain.

The Spanish webers are real webers.

Any Italian webers are 20+ years old.

• Like 1

The truth is real webers are made in Italy, not Spain...

Not exactly, this is the truth:

The truth is real webers have not been made in Italy since the factory closed in 1992.

The production tooling was moved to Spain.

The Spanish webers are real webers.

Any Italian webers are 20+ years old.

Yes, Real Webers are either made in Italy or Spain.

The question I have is:

... after doing lots of research we figured out he was burned and it IS a fake from the company interco ...

How did you found that the Carburetor you received, was a counterfeit copycat?

Anyhow, if you purchased a brand new WEBER as they advertised, and you received a Counterfeit product, you should place a lawsuit against the Company, because they are selling Fake products advertising them as original ones; and that is very dishonest for any company; they better should advertise them as chinese licensed versions.

It kinda remembers me the Samsung Galaxy cellphones that are being sold in our local market, there are chinese counterfeits being sold at half the price than the original Korean ones, even in the same stores; but the sellers says that those are "Chinese Versions" and their screen resolution is around the half; but they do not lie about their products.

Kind Regards.

aparently interco has rights to reproduce under the name weber. they technically are legal to copy and produce. now i have seen some made in china, and some real webers made in spain come out of the factory. so i will see next week which one i get. either way a full review will come from it. if it means a good product great, if its bad then usmb will know and nobody else will fall victim

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Is-A-Genuine-Weber-Carburetor-/10000000204837562/g.html

Lame, looks legal. Loyale 2.7 aren't you a lawyer? No mater I think you will be fine.

General rule of thumb white choke cover Europe, Black cover Asia. Accurate? Dunno. There is also about 50 bux difference in cost, that's a red flag as well.

WK730-2.jpg?1435218103

K730WEB.JPG

... looks legal. Loyale 2.7 aren't you a lawyer? ...

Yes Sir, I'm Lawyer.

In my own humble opinion, selling something without telling the Complete Truth, is a Lie.

In example, a Hyundai Galloper is a Licenced version of the Mitsubish¡t Montero, built by Hyundai in Korea, I can Not sell a Galloper, saying that it is a Genuine Montero, despite that Hyundai has the Licence to build the Product.

One thing is a Licenced Product (interco), and another thing is a True Original (Weber) Product; there's a lie within the False advertising. They should sell them as interco, not as Weber.

aparently interco has rights to reproduce under the name weber. they technically are legal to copy and produce. now i have seen some made in china, and some real webers made in spain come out of the factory. so i will see next week which one i get. either way a full review will come from it. if it means a good product great, if its bad then usmb will know and nobody else will fall victim

Good idea, give us feedback regarding the Carburetor you'll receive.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Did you read the link, honestly I only skimmed it. They know very few will bother to actually consume the disclaimer. It seems they get use of name "Weber" because they paid MM to do so, and end product meets the requirements. WorldPac is pretty big parts distributor. We have a lawyer on the case, Loyale 2.7 tell us if this legit or at least from the brand of law you practice. I agree it seems shady, and I know the laws are likely different there.

I will add that the European higher quality looking unit is a "Redline Weber" and it bears the logo clearly on the box. Not just with a lil smidge of red paint.

Edited by ihscout54
  • Like 1

yes the legal copy/fake rights suck, but what they are doing is legal. who knows, if the main body is good and genuine weber parts work, whos to say a rebuild cant make a great working carb? whos to say it wont work properly? yes i fell victim, but this is going to be a full on hardcore test of Intercos products. like i said im not bashing the product, i havent got it yet to try it. so i hope i can help in some way to others that have in the past or in the future bought an Interco product.