Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my newly acquired 1990 loyale 2wd

I just purchased this 1990 Subaru Loyale 2wd, SPFI, auto beast yesterday. Only has 140,000/kms or 87,000/miles. No rust, has been garage kept its whole life, paint looks great as well. Interior is good shape too. Has power windows, locks and side mirrors. I was originally buying under the impression that it was 4wd, but it turned out to only be 2wd. I decided to buy due to its excellent condition.

Any suggestions on mods i could do to take Loyale to the next level, ie, 4wd drivetrain swap, lift, tires?

Thanks

Natepost-65295-0-30373400-1480790719_thumb.jpgpost-65295-0-24011000-1480790717_thumb.jpgpost-65295-0-24487600-1480790721_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't know but others would I'm sure... I personally would find a 4wd chassis... if ya want 4wd I have yet to see a 4wd automatic... and for lifts there are many of write ups.. lowering engine mount to keep axles from premature failure etc.. lots go into lifts... but don't let me detour you from your vision ;)

I got one very similar a while back. Added the 4wd parts. You want to find the 4wd driveline from a 1990 to 94. Swap the transmission, and add the stuff from there back. You need the diff, and the cross member it mounts to, or you have to fab and weld the mounts onto the 2WD one.

You have to fab the center driveshaft support bearing mounts also.

Add a wire or 2 for the 4wd switch and dash light if you want to make it complete like a stock 4wd, which is what I did.

They're pretty capable in the snow even in 2wd due to the weight of the motor being directly over the drive wheels. 4wd swap is pretty straightforward, but a little involved. That's got a 3 speed auto. Don't be concerned about it revving up to about 3,800rpms at 65-70mph. These things can rev to the moon and back and I've personally logged over 30,000 miles on the automatic. Most of them highway miles. I try to keep it right at 4k rpms but I've cruised for a bit with it spinning at close to 5k. These engines are bulletproof.

Mods depend on your intended usage. 

Chances are if it hasn't been  driven much it also hasn't gotten a lot of maintenance. For openers I would go through and change all the fluids, check all the belts, hoses, plugs, wires, brakes.    Then drive it for a while and see what you like or don't like and shop around for prices on mods.

Mods depend on how much time and money you are willing to spend to get to the "next level". Is this your project or daily driver? If it was in pieces for six months to so swaps, mods and other changes, would that be a problem?  Is money no object?

More data is needed before a proper answer can be given. For right now, how about a nice wash and good coats of McGuires to keep that body in good shape? If they use salt on your roads,an undercoat might be helpful.