Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have any recommendations on getting new tires?  My Legacy is due for new tires and I'm not sure whether to just go with the cheapest or if there's anything specific that is good to look for in the higher priced brands.  I'm on kind of a tight budget but I could afford up to the medium priced range.  I don't want to waste my money on something bad quality that doesn't give as much return for the money, but on the other hand I don't want to pay more for something that might not be any better than the less priced brand.  So I thought I'd ask if anyone here was familiar with tires or had advice on what to get.  I live in OK, so it's kind of an "all weather" type place. 

I think Kumho (Solus ?) are a decent value. Ran them on the wife's car - they are OK.

at present, I have Pirelli Cinturato on therre and , while not crazy expensive, still have a little buyer's remorse spending that much on tires.

I tend to favor traction and wet performance, I let tread life take a hit. But, if you are on the highway a lot, you might take a look at 'touring' tires. not everyone needs 'all seasons'. Some folks drive a different car or stay home in bad weather or w'ever. Kinda depends on your usage really.

go to Discount Tire and have a conversation with a sales guy - try to go on a weekday when they are less busy.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

We install a TON of Hankook Optimo H727s on Subarus at the dealership where I work. Apparently they're a copy of the Michelin Defenders, but much cheaper. 100k mile treadwear, quiet and comfortable, and moderate all-season performance.

Yokohama Avid Ascends are also good and very similarly priced, sacrificing some of that treadwear for a little better bad-weather traction.

My Dad has put Kumho Solus KR21s on a few of their vehicles. He has loved them on the Subarus, but his Honda Odyssey is absolutely worthless in the snow with them.

Edited by Numbchux

Recommend Ohtsu 7000 series tire. I have buying them for the last 3-4 years. I have them on wife's Outback, daughter's Hyundai, and Jeep Wrangler. Next purchase on my 99 Outback. Ohtsu is made by Falken or vice versa, and manufactured in Japan.. Tires are all season, good and quiet on the road, handle well in snow and rain, and made to last 40,000 miles. Cost in the $60-$70 range. They have a good strong firm sidewall, which I like. That feature is usually lacking in other lower priced tires. Well worth a look, good luck on your tire search.

Read online reviews and focus on what you want. I look at snow and rain performance.

Master craft is a popular inexpensive tire.

In the future I'll be looking at Michelin and better mileage as i usually money towards good snow tires and I'm not getting much mileage on cheaper all seasons.

General Altimax rt43 are common inexpensive tires. I've had a few side wall bubbles on them but my roads are probably some of the worst of anyone that's going to reply. Other than that they're decent options.

I mentioned them because of you, was hoping you'd chime in! I'm going to try them and Michelin (different vehicles) for my next set.

I am very happy with the Mastercraft tires - even ran the set I had on the Legacy on the Forester for a little while, until I had the funds to buy a new set for it. I did end up getting the Coopers for the Foz - only because of the rebate deal, tho. LOL Otherwise I would have happily purchased another set of the Mastercraft all seasons

The other half bought a set of Mastercraft for his 06 LL Bean Outback, too, and he is happy with them as well.

and the snow tires that are on the 95 now are also Mastercraft - Glacier Grip II's - awesome snows. :)