Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru Impreza 2.2 Liter SOHC - Timing Belt

We are trying to change the timing belt on our Son's 1996 Subaru Impreza, but we cannot get it to time correctly.  The engine is 2.2 liter SOHC.  The marks appear to be in good position, but it will not time and run. I think he might have the crank position wrong. How do you put the crank in right position with out the belt on I need TDC  

• Like 2

With the timing belt off you can rotate the cams so the valves are closed and then put the crank front belt pulley on and turn it with the bolt.  

The passenger side cam is free when the alignment mark is up, so those valves are closed

The Drivers side cam is under spring pressure from the valves being open.  You can rotate it about a 1/4 turn clockwise with a 17mm wrench on the cam sprocket bolt to close the valves.  Once the crank is set, just rotate it back to the alignment mark.

• 3 weeks later...

1 Lucky Texan is right again! I've just been through this with a '98 EJ22 someone had transplanted into my '98 Legacy Outback a couple of days ago. I don't know what the arrow on the crank pulley is for- but do not use that as your alignment mark! Look for the grooved line on the back flange of the crankshaft pulley and use that. When I pulled my belt & realigned the crankshaft pulley to the correct mark- after putting it all back together, the engine,(which had not been started for 14 or 15 months fired up immediately on the first try! Another point of reference: when you have the two camshaft sprockets and crankshaft sprocket all properly aligned (at 12:00 straight up) before installing the belt, you will notice that if you turn the arrow on the Right camshaft sprocket to the notch in the inner timing cover, the #1 piston will be at TDC on the ignition stroke. Do not leave the Right camshaft in his position, however! Align the little line on the rim of the camshaft sprocket with the little notch on the inner timing belt cover. Same on the left side. Be sure to use the grooved line and not the arrows to align the camshaft sprockets!