Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identify this hanging sensor under my car?

Hello, I have a 92 loyale 4wd wagon. Since I got this car I have had this little sensor or something hanging under the car attached to a bracket. Me being me I meant to wire tie it up before my first trip with the car, but of course I forgot as I rushed to pack the car and do other things like change the oil and do brakes and what not. So now this sensor has finally been ziptied up out of the way but not before a wire has been torn off of it. Car seems to run fine, check engine light comes on randomly but goes away if I floor it. Anyways I would like to figure out what this is and how urgent it is to fix it. 

20161211_125537_zpslcul9qa4.jpg

20161211_125559_zps0yquuz2s.jpg

I would say if that wire is plugged into another wire it would be your O2 sensor.. which in turn could possibly make the check engine light come on... the sensor screws into the catalytic converter on the exhaust.. but I see power steering hoses and I don't remember mine having a bracket ... hmm..

I would say if that wire is plugged into another wire it would be your O2 sensor.. which in turn could possibly make the check engine light come on... the sensor screws into the catalytic converter on the exhaust.. but I see power steering hoses and I don't remember mine having a bracket ... hmm..

I have an o2 like that? I still have an o2 in my exhaust where exactly before after or on cat I don't remember but I do have an o2

Oh well crap! I miss read! Yea.. just one sensor screws into the top corner inside the catalytic converter... the Wire Broke off the sensor!! Lol !

That's most likely a ground wire for what who knows...powersteering fluid level? Brake fluid resivor senor? wipers work?.. battery taking a charge? should be up about 13.0 when idling and 13.6 to 14 maybe fluctuating... could be a regulator/resistor... follow that wire!! Ha ha ha! Let us know!

I've had a bunch of Loyales, and I recognize exactly where that is, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Is it plugged into anything? Does it look factory, or maybe something somebody added on later?

My first thought, is it looks like a hall effect sensor of some sort. I wonder if someone added a magnet ring to the axle, DOJ cup, or driveshaft and that was maybe mounted to read it as an auxiliary/replacement speedometer or odometer.