Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bedlining Suby

blk99obs

I've been toying with this idea for a long time, and I'd like to pull the trigger soon. I want to bedline the whole car. I've painted a couple of cars in the past, so I know what I'm getting into as far as general prep work, but has anyone else done this? If so, what did you use? Any pointers would be awesome. Thanks.

My paint is going bad, clearcoat peeling, would like something strong that I don't have to worry so much about. As to it not being clean ever again, I respectfully disagree as long as its done right. Theres a foz I used to see around that looked sick with it, but I never caught the owner, also a yota that looked really good with it. Have a look here. http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_photos_video.htm

Have you ever tried to clean ANYTHING off bedliner before?Bedliner has a rough surface finish by design,because of that roughness mud,grease,oil,grime,etc get trapped in the low spots,and unless you attack it with a Qtip its staying in there.Look at ANY truck that has a bedliner that the bed is actually used and you will see tons of stains in the bedliner anything from a couple drops of used engine oil to greasy mud will stain it.So like I said, your car will never ever be clean again because the car will ALWAYS look like you went mudding.

Experience with bedliner:

3 trucks with properly applied bedliner

1 geo tracker that the PO put bedliner on the fenders and 1/4 panels to make it look tougher.

That geo tracker is black and I haven't found a way to remove mud stains from its bedliner,the painted sections I can wash and scrub and they look good,the bedliner ALWAYS looks like muddy black.

Besides, bedliner can get scratched just like paint,only difference is bedliner takes alot more effort to repair than cheap paint.Rattle can offroaders, then every once in a while spray paint the trail pinstriping and body damage and then go wheeling to get more dents and scratches.

• 2 weeks later...

The entire tub of my Jeep is Rhino Lined.  LOVE IT!!!!!!!    Carpet be damned.  The drain plugs are all removed.  Any water coming in leaves on its own.   Clean it?  HA!!!!!   It's my wheeler.

Same,except without the bedliner. Although, I do spray off the mud inside and out with a garden hose just to remove the large chunks...

Bedliner in the interior works great as a non slip surface but will always look dirty even after pressure washing it. Bedliner on the outside is a non slip surface that will always look messy.

I just hose my stuff down afterwards for two reasons:

1.to slow the formation of rust

2. its alot easier to see how messy your vehicle is after your done playing if it was somewhat clean before you started.

Edited by Uberoo

• 2 weeks later...

I did the lower half of my 4Runner in Duplicolor roll-on bedliner years ago. Love it. It's tough, it hides trail damage, it was super easy to apply. Had to go as thin as possible with the coats, as it would run on the vertical surfaces.

It did bleed under the painter's tape I had pretty bad. so the edge isn't terribly clean.

Right after I did it:

35356123443_8cb2619950_k.jpg2017-07-25_02-29-26 by Numbchux, on Flickr

I've never tried to clean it, so maybe it would come clean with some work, but just being out in the rain is not enough. It pretty much always looks like this:

35029624653_4aa4896889_k.jpg2017-07-10_10-30-27 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Edited by Numbchux

• 2 weeks later...