Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear disk conversion to hatch

Its pretty simple bolt in, one of the first things i did, i havent added the prop valve yet but others say its really important so ill let you decide that, whan you pull the pars pull everything from the backing plate forward and take all the rubber brake lines you can, and i would buy new rotors, oreillys initially told e they wouldnt dit in the machine to rurn them, they fot it to fit and turned but i think they aren't true now because i get an intermittent squeak out of one under light brake pressure, so backing plates the hubs that bolt to the rotors, the calipers, and the prop valve which is bolter in front of the gas tank with 4 lines coming out, take these hard lines connected to the valve so you arent making your own

http://offroadingsubarus.com/rear-disc-conversion-on-ea81-ea82s/

It's an old write-up, but still accurate. Only thing I would do different is to shorten the steel line that used to go to the wheel cylinder (in that write-up, he just bends it out of the way). Most parts stores sell pre-flared chunks of line, too, you could just replace it with a new one.

Or, you can replace the 2 rubber lines and the steel with the rear hose for an EJ car and it's banjo bolt. I used Centric braided stainless for a GD ('02-'07) Impreza. It comes off the caliper at an angle, instead of straight out, so you'll have to route it out around the back side of the shock.

36122143606_1a935265a1_k.jpg2017-07-25_02-22-30 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

I replaced the rear brake lines like Numbchux did, but routed them along the semi-trailing arm on my EA81T wagon.  I was even able to reuse the little metal tabs to secure the line, using some silicone tube to prevent premature wear.

FYI, there are two lengths used for GD rear brake lines.  STI and non-STI are different lengths, I think STI are longer, but I don't remember offhand.