Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Adjustable Camber Strut Lift Blocks

I always try to resist adding more threads to the forum, but I'd love some follow up on an idea I have.

I'm currently doing a 2/3 lift on my 1983 ea81 brat. I've been reading up and down the forum on the strut block angle and have settled at 14deg. The blocks will be constructed from 1/4" steel plate/tube. I was thinking of cutting the bottom plate to have slots so the camber could be adjusted as many aftermarket products accomplish for other vehicles. During my research I came upon a few threads where member GeneralDissorder had mentioned something similar but I couldn't find that anything had ever come of it aside from a personal set of strut blocks he made for himself.

I'd like to solicit feedback on the adjustable camber strut lift blocks, has anyone done this and had issues? I'd like to save myself the pain of going down this path if anyone knows better than myself. The only issue I could see would be having the strut mount bolts slip in the slot, I may address that by running set screws into the slots from opposing ends to hold the strut stud in position.

I have one more question, I never saw reference to the rear needing angled brackets for lifts, I'm guessing that's because the shocks are more vertically oriented?

thanks

on the EA81 front has struts rear has a Torsion bar tube that gets dropped in a lift, the only angled part is the front struts, I would recommend on the front to keep your strut and engine crossmember lift blocks at the same height, those axles will like it and the camber is easier to keep that way, on the lift kits I Build for the EA81 I do 14 degree on the front strut extensions

It's been a long time since either of the EA81 lifts I helped install. But as I recall, a properly-built lift block will keep the strut tight against the inside of the tower (sometimes it's even necessary to "clearance" the strut tower to keep from rubbing). So you could theoretically adjust for more positive camber, but not less, and certainly not getting it into positive.

The other issue I see with your plan, is if you have the adjustment between the strut and the block, there will be no way to adjust it without removing everything. Those bolts are not accessible once installed.

• Like 1