Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Ej22 engine knock? (Video link of engine running) I appreciate your input.

I put an ej22 in  to my VW Westy. Engine had 161K, we did a full reseal and gasket job. Ran a compression check yesterday 155-160psi all cylinders.We double checked timing and is looks good. Engine ran fine on the way to its Smog check, passed the smog with the sound, but after exiting the freeway this knock happened. It's coming from the right head, I used a engine stethoscope to generalize its location. Could it be a main/rod bearing? something with the head? Compression is a bit on the low side, but nothing pointing at a bent valve. Any help would be appreciated.

Here the youtube link to the engine running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Vf_nm5w1Y 

Hard to say. Doesn't sound deep like a rod, but you got something going on. Pull the valve cover on the rt side. Visually inspect if something is loose in there. Run the motor with it off for a moment to confirm if your problem is there or not. Do you know the history of your donor motor ? A rod or main knock sound will be in the block not the head. 

Hey Tom, 

We'll check the valves tonight. History was unknown, I picked the 1994 legacy up for $600, sound fine and ran well, 161K miles, but when we torn down for the engine reseal, there was some bad stuff, Timing belt was original, cracked and very worn, and the people who tried to change the belt must have messed up cause the used some crazy cement to put the crank bolt back in, it took a lot of force just to get the bolt out, and it flatted all the treads as it came out, we had to tap and use a helicoil to fix it.  

I can guess what happened, Timing belt was changed at least one time. When they did the install they did not tighten the crank bolt enough..  later it came loose and in the process buggered up the bolt, and probably the radiator as well. (i've seen this) Rather than try to find a new good bolt and a tap they just use some locktite red and a 2' ratchet and never never look at it again... good thing this is a noninterference motor. 

I can guess what happened, Timing belt was changed at least one time. When they did the install they did not tighten the crank bolt enough..  later it came loose and in the process buggered up the bolt, and probably the radiator as well. (i've seen this) Rather than try to find a new good bolt and a tap they just use some locktite red and a 2' ratchet and never never look at it again... good thing this is a noninterference motor. 

Years back, I had the same problem with the crank bolt coming loose on my Leggie with the 2.2 motor. Had it tightened several times, only to have it come loose again. Finally had Lock-tight added to the threads, and bolt really torqued down tight. It never came loose after that.