Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Outback Won't Start - Please HELP :)

Hell All - My friend recently bought a $1300 Outback with 195k on her.  For the 17 year old to get back and forth to the horse barn.  Two weeks into ownership, she won't start.  Recent work includes new radiator, wheel bearings, brakes and 4" engine compartment fuel lines.  She turns over and coughs a bit.  Will not run on ether.  Does have spark at end of spark plug lead.  We do not hear fuel pump running when ignition is on and do not recall that we did hear it when it was running prior.  Any ideas for a fix would be appreciated - thank you and happy holidays!

Also when you changed the fuel lines, make sure you didn't cross them.  Replacing the fuel pump isn't difficult if that turns out to be the problem but replace it with an OEM pump. Few years ago my pump failed and I bought a non OEM pump that was described as being a direct fit. It wasn't and ended up costing me  $500 when it fell off 300 miles from home. 

Thank you guys!  I changed three short (4") lines on the top of the motor so think I got them right, will check for fuel by pulling a line.  Jumped timing?  Hope not, but anything is possible.  I've got new plugs and plug wires on the order sheet (it needs them regardless of this staring issue) and whatdya think of the following - fuel pump, fuel pump relay, crank position sensor, fuel filter, engine temp sensor?  Don't want to buy anything unnecessary, but need to get her running again tomorrow.  Thanks again for the help!

I appreciate the help!  'Crossing' the lines on these 4" lines is lost on me though.  They are located on the pass side front and rear and driver side rear and due to the short length between fittings are quite clear where they go and they do not overlap, so again I don't think that is a problem.  Plus the car drove fine for 3 days after I changed lines.  Thanks again.

I can't think of any fuel lines on the passenger side of an american car ?  But disconnect the line that comes from the center of the fuel filter at the intake, (should be the top one) turn on key and fuel should come out. If not ,then most likely the fuel pump . You haven't mentioned code reading... any codes stored could point you in the right direction.  As far as buying lots of parts... fuel pump is costly but can be stored if you don't need  it. fuel filter is always a good idea, buy 2 put one on and one on the shelf. Crank sensor I would wait on , same with fuel pump relay. The temp sensor I like to keep on the shelf as its quite easy to bump one when pulling the intake and that old plastic likes to break. While it crosses my mind its not like -20 outside is it ? Deep cold does strange things to metal and plastic and our wonderful ethanol fuel they sell is known for not liking sub zero weather. Could be froze fuel lines ??

You could also take off the intake, squirt a small amount of starter fluid into the throttle valve, then see if it runs for 10-20 sec.  If it does, then you can pull or ff the fuel line after the fuel filter and check for flow as previously suggested.  I extended the rubber tubing and tape on a coke bottle when I checked mine. 

I don't see the logic of buying parts until you have a clue about whats wrong.  You definately have to check the timing.  Mybe you should do it first although that takes a lot more work.   However if the timing is off, you probably already bent some valves.

To check the timing on this motor you will need both sides of the plastic cover off. This will require removing the crank pully....    Edit:   Is the check engine light on ?   Do you have a way to read the codes on the computer ?  

Edited by montana tom

Fuel hoses. . .sorry, not fuel lines.  4" rubber fuel lines that sit atop various parts of the motor.  Yes, been 1 degree here in past week, 50 yesterday though and she still won't start.  Fuel filter looks recent.  Thank you.

it could simply be the cold that is causing, and/or adding to your issues. Had a heck of a time getting the old 95 started the last couple of days - (Wisconsin) it has been ridiculously cold.

is the car indoors? or outside? Do you have a turbo heater you can point at it to help thaw things out?

Just because the filter looks new does not mean it isn't filled with moisture and freezing up

• Like 1

under some odd circumstances, you can have a flooding condition. When it's very cold and the car is started, moved a very short distance and immediately turned off - when you try to re-start, it will be floded. Try either pulling plugs to see if they are wet with fuel, or, the 'clear flood' procedure - crank with the gas pedal HELD all the way down on the floor.

also, have you scanned the ECU for pending codes?

also, this gen Outback can have problems with a cracked cap/ruptured-displace o-ring on the fuel pump. There's a $75-$100 dollar fix for that. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/41182-symptoms-fuel-pump-o-ring-problem.html

SUCCESS!  THANK YOU!  So last night at 18 degrees and windy I checked the fuel and it was coming out of the filter fine.  Then I was pulling spark plugs from the right side and noticed the skinny vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator had cracked and pulled off.  I got a hunch that was the problem.  So I finished replacing the plugs and wires that were ancient and then replaced that vacuum hose.  And she fired right up.  So feeling lucky, all good for now, thanks for the help from everybody.  Peace!

• Like 2