Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 GL oil pump and more

squag

Hey all

I am currently considering buying a 1989 GL wagon, manual tranny, for $500. Just want a cheap 4x4.

according to the kid who owns it now, it currently needs:

New oil pump

Front passenger side wheel bearing

alignment

various misc interior stuff like dash lights

Looking online I haven't been able to find a complete assembly for a new oil pump for anything over 1987.

Wondering if that will work?

It has no AC and I'm thinking if I end up getting it, it will be nice to have, so any suggestions on that?

Also anything else you suggest I consider before buying? what common issues are there with these guys?

This was the car I learned to drive in back in the day so I'm just slightly familiar with it..

Any other info you think will be useful is much appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by squag

Well, if you've got to go in and do an oil pump & Micky mouse gasket, then you may want to do the timing belts & water pump also. Check all the hoses (especially the small ones for the intake manifold heat & the heater return under the alternator). The oil pump for an 87 "should" fit. 

Ed

• Like 1

It's rare to need a new oil pump. More likely, just need the seals. It should have an EA82 engine. Any year, spfi or carb is the same pump. Not sure if turbo is different.

+1 on timing belts and all idlers, and all of the coolant hoses.

Adding A/C is a big project. Wouldn't do it without a doner car.

If they're not overheated/run low on oil those cars run forever.  A $500 Subaru in the PNW sounds like something is awfully wrong with it though!?

those are extremely reliable, the only downside is their age at this point.  for 60,000 mile reilability this is all it takes:

tune up - cap, rotor, plugs, wires, PCV valve, air filter

new timing gear

Generally wont' strand you but wise to regrease all the caliper slides, and with the timing job consider replacing the water pump, cam seals and orings, crank seal, oil pump seal and orings. 

At that point the alternator and fuel pump are the most likely to strand you just because they're old.  The OEM units are great and high quality but they're a quarter century+ old.

Aftermarket fuel pumps and alternators generally dont have the same quality.  The alternators are easily replaced in like 15 minutes so I consider a used one stashed somewhere good insurance. 

oil pump is an odd diagnosis for this engine - i'd wonder what makes them think this? 

oil pump can often cause TOD, but most non-Subaru people dont know this, TOD is fixed by:
1. resealing the oil pump

or

2. replacing the oil pump if the reseal doesn't solve it

My XT6 has a little ticking i'll probably just replace the pump so I'm not doing the job twice.