Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So then this noise happened...

1995 Legacy 2.2 5 speed MT

Just thought id throw this out there.

Today its very cold out for texas.

Recently ive heard this like clicking noise in the front like once per wheel revolution when in gear and slowing down.

And the abs lights been on intermittently.

They put me on a job where im supposed to drive about two hours each way (right).

So i have to go there this morning and i leave real early to get badge there and make sure im early.

The car is driving fine really well in fact, i just put new tires on it, and after an hour of driving i stop in a gas station to get coffee,

and when i came back out and starte driving a mile or few later im getting this vibration it sounds and feels like its from the right front or drive up there. Its really bad like a cv joint has totally gone and its getting worse,kind of a pulsating rolling vibe after i accelerate in each gear. Its only when its in gear and driving or accelerating if i push in the clutch it goes away, then its smooth. it was getting so bad I didnt think it would make it to a gas station even.

I pull over and call my boss and eventually AAA, im gonna be towed all the way back to houston, so im messing around with it a little,backing up to try to brake and see if it releases im thinking its maybe a frozen caliper, and then trying to drive again its still doing it. Sothen i was resigned to AAA and i sat there a good while,then i thought to try using emergency brake in reverse so I back up (it doesnt do it in reverse at any time) and stop with emergency, and then it suddenly can drive ok. I drove it all the way back home. Never used emergency brake now though. Cancelled AAA call.
But now the ABS light is permanent. Also i should say the emergency brake when you release it its not tight to the floorboard its kinda loose.

Anybody have any thought before I take it in what it could be?

Frustrating on a month old purchase but at least i wasnt driving crosscountry. Yet. :)

Dan

Edited by 1997reduxe

Manual trans has the hill holder which works with the clutch. If the hill holder cable sticks or the lever on the holder gets stuck it will cause the brakes to drag on the front right and rear left IIRC.

Check the hill holder mechanism on the frame rail just below the master cylinder. See if you can move the lever by hand and see if it returns all the way. Spray it with some penetrating oil and then with some lithium grease to get it freed up if it's sticking.

It should pull on the cable just a bit. If the valve is hanging up internally you can just remove the cable from it and zip tie the lever all the way back so it won't drag the brakes.

Not sure on the ABS light. Won't have anything to do with the hill holder. Would be an overheated wheel speed sensor or bad wheel bearing if the brake was dragging and overheated. There's a way to pull the codes and find out which sensor.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

the proper way to adjust parking brake shoes, is to rotate the s'tar' wheel UP on both sides, it's behind an oval rubber plug on the backing plates in the rear. Search for info on that. (unless the hill holder makes it different somehow. ??? Fairtax?)

if that hill holder is even slightly related to your problem - ask fairtax how to disable/remove it - you live in HOUSTON for gosh sakes !

lol!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan