Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale parts for Leone parts, rockauto dot com etc

G'day everybody,

I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before, but I couldn't really find any information. I have just bought a 1990 Subaru Leone(/L-Series) here in Australia. It is pictured here.

Long story short, I am wondering if 1990 Loyale parts will fit my Leone, I'm talking timing belt kits and other bits and bobs. I see that rockauto has a fair few parts available for the Loyale.

Cheers,

Martin

Welcome!

Yes, many part are identical, and other parts will be different; first: you must be completely Sure which engine is on your '90 L-series, because it likely has the EA82, but certainly there were other different engines available for this Body, in different world markets.

Also, certain parts are for LHD models and other parts are for RHD, such like the steering rack.

Kind Regards.

Thanks for your reply Loyale2.7, I read somewhere that you said you are from Honduras! Excellent country, I visited there very briefly about 2 months ago from Australia :)

Back on topic, yes it's an ea82 mate! Is there a 'go-to' source that I can find out which parts are the same?

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words about my Country. 

Almost everything is the same between EA82's, except the fuel management, as some have:

► Standard Carburetor.

► Feedback Carburetor.

► Single Point Fuel Injection (SPFi, also known as TBi, or Throttle body injection)

► Multi Point Fuel Injection (MPFi)

► Turbo MPFi

So you must need to be Sure which edition of the EA82 engine you have.

Other body parts are the same between Loyale and GL / third gen Leone; 

Except those parts that has Side, as certain are for LHD and others are for RHD.

Kind Regards.

what he said:

Consumables/maintenance items are nearly all identical, someone else double check this list as i just vomit it all out here, but these should all be the same for all EA82:

PCV valve, air filter, disty cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs

timing kit, water pump

cam seals, cam orings, crank seal, oil pump/seal/oring/gasket

valve cover gaskets

Those are all the same no matter what EA82 you have.

The intake manifold has quite a bit of differences based on the variations he listed above.  So fueling, anything that plugs into an electrical connector, intake manifold gaskets - may differ. 

...someone else double check this list as i just vomit it all out here, but these should all be the same for all EA82:

... disty cap, rotor... ...may differ. 

There are two kinds of Distributors for the EA82, the electronic and the Optical ones.

Also, there are two different electronic Distributors, the Nippon-Denso and the Hitachi.

The Nippon-Denso distributors have faster advance curve, and do not have the screw that holds the rotor in place; also their caps are held in place by two metal clips; While the Hitachi distributors, have the screw that holds the rotor in place, and their caps are held by screws too. Nippon-Denso distributors are found in 2WD EA82's and Hitachi on 4WD EA82's.

Thank you very much Loyale2.7 and grossgary! Very much appreciated. Have a great weekend and happy holidays/merry xmas/etc!

You're Welcome.

Greetings from the warm Caribbean.

Kind Regards.

There are two kinds of Distributors for the EA82, the electronic and the Optical ones.

Also, there are two different electronic Distributors, the Nippon-Denso and the Hitachi.

The Nippon-Denso distributors have faster advance curve, and do not have the screw that holds the rotor in place; also their caps are held in place by two metal clips; While the Hitachi distributors, have the screw that holds the rotor in place, and their caps are held by screws too. Nippon-Denso distributors are found in 2WD EA82's and Hitachi on 4WD EA82's.

You're Welcome.

Greetings from the warm Caribbean.

Kind Regards.

WHAT?!!???

They made a version of the distributor that wasn't held on with a screw that falls out???? Oh Subaru (not talking about you Jeszek), I thought I knew you but you have been holding back on me ALL THESE YEARS!

How realistic would it be to swap one of these new fangled clip rotor  distributors into an existing EA82 that is screwed?

AUDM EA82's are a lot simpler than Jez's list - no SPFI, no turbo MPFI (on the wagons). I would be 99% sure Martin's is the bog standard carby version.

Rockauto is my primary part supplier, simply because their website has no issue with non-US addresses and their shipping costs are generally pretty fair (not great). I've never had the wrong part supplied by them (except when I ordered the wrong part, and then they had no issue providing a credit). I recently ordered parts from Summit, and they (or technically their supplier, as it was direct shipped) screwed up. Summit at least told me to keep the wrong parts (return freight was 90+% of the value of the goods supplied), and they would supply replacements at no additional cost (including shipping) - which is something that Rockauto is very poor on (they insist the wrong parts are returned at the customers cost).

Hi everybody!
Glad to see some discussion on  this thread :)

I have a question again. Upon looking at what repair manuals rockauto has, I notice that under the Loyale area it says the repair manual is "1600 & 1800" (see attched imaged). Now, why I ask this is because my local parts shop has seatbelt assemblies for "1600 &  1800" but not for my Leone (Loyale). Does 1800 simply refer to the EA82 and 1600 EA81? more importantly, will the 1800 seatbelt suit my 1990 Leone/L-Series/Loyale.

Cheers :--)

post-65382-0-16947400-1482969840_thumb.jpg

If you're looking for a repair manual, buy a second hand FSM. They come up on eBay AUS for ~$25 now and then and are about 4x the detail of the Gregory's (which I would expect to be the same as the US ones you have attached).

1600 = EA71 (only a handful of AUDM MY's will have the 1600 (it was mostly found on the MY hatch which wasn't sold in AUS, and poverty-pack MY sedans), I don't recall seeing anything past about 1982 using this engine)

1800 = EA81 (OHV) or EA82 (OHC). Pretty much all MY's have the EA81 (1979-84 in sedans, coupes and wagons, 1982-93 in Brumby), and all L wagons have the EA82.

You WILL have problems with parts purchased locally as many aftermarket dealer guides (eg. Repco, SCA, Autobarn)  are wrong (the MY and L platforms get lumped together often, when there really isn't much common between them). And as the Brumby (MY) ran from 1982 through 1993 it gets very messy if you specify the year. Best to say it's a 1994 Loyale (stress it's not a Liberty) and you should be safe (I think Loyale went to 1994...just). Or try a junkyard, they're not that hard to find yet (I know of at least 2 nearby).

Thanks Dfoyl, I'm not actually after a repair manual I was just perusing what was available on the website :)

I only asked the question because went into repco enquiring about a seatbelt and they said they only had 1600 & 1800 Subaru available on their screen, at their time I didn't realise that it potentially could suit my Leone. So, with that said, might it fit my Leone?? Are you an aussie Leone owner? :) cheers buddy!

... the 1600 (it was mostly found on the MY hatch which wasn't sold in AUS, and poverty-pack MY sedans), I don't recall seeing anything past about 1982 using this engine) ...

Try Latin America.  :wacko: (LADM = Latin American Domestic Market)

Subaru sold their Third gen Leone / L-Series \ Loyale, up to 1994, with the "Fat Case" EA71 1600 engine, because it was somehow the "Standard" engine for the DL Wagons; while the EA65 1300 engine was the "Standard" for the DL Sedans; the same happened in certain asian markets, such as israel, pakistan, etc... The 1800 was optional / part of the Luxury GL package or trim level.

... They made a version of the distributor that wasn't held on with a screw that falls out???? ...

Yes, and in my own humble opinion, the Nippon-Denso distributors, are better than the Hitachi, and works easier with aftermarket ignition coils; my "BumbleBeast" runs with one of those, I only changed its dual port vacuum advance, for a single port one, during my Weber carburetor Swap; and their rotors are very common, as Nippon-Denso used the same part for many other japanese cars from that era.

... Does 1800 simply refer to the EA82 and 1600 EA81? ...

As is explained above by dfoyl, the 1600 is the EA71 engine.

I better explain this to you: Subaru has three 1800 engines, the EA81, the EA82 and the EJ18.

Despite that the EA82 engine is older than the EJ18, and the EA81 is even older than the other two; said three engines were in production simultaneously at certain point, as production of the EA81 and EA82 ceased in 1994, and production of the EJ18 started in december 1988 and continued... So, parts catalog overlaps parts for those engines, somehow.

Since no EJ engine were mounted on any L-Series from factory, your Subie should have the EA82 engine.

While the EA81 engines were mounted mainly on Brats / Brumbies, during those late production years; and the EJ18 engines were mounted in early Legacy Wagons, for certain markets, such like Latin America.

If you understand which engine is which, you will avoid obtaining parts for the Wrong engine.

So, you must be SURE that you are ordering parts for the engine that your Subie has. If you have any doubt, I kindly suggest you to share here, a couple of Photos from your Subie's engine bay, so we could help you to understand which engine your subie has, and any other pertaining information you might need. Remember: an image worth 1000 words.

Kind Regards.

... How realistic would it be to swap one of these new fangled clip rotor  distributors into an existing EA82 that is screwed?

Sorry for hijack this thread ... that subject has been covered before in the Forums; and as far as I know, is easy if both subies are carbureted and uses same amount of wires; you swap entire distributors along their ignition coils and that's it.

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/72561-good-or-bad-nippon-or-hitach-distys/

Kind Regards.

Sorry, not sure on the seat belt interchangeabiliy. I have a Brumby, which is the MY platform. I briefly owned a L-series which was planned to donate its 5-speed box to my Brumby but I ended up getting a slightly later gearbox out of a MPFI L-series.

(We just call them L-series rather than Loyale/Leone down under, as there were variants of the Leone (eg Royale)...)

Thanks everyone for your input :--)
It's definitely the EA82 I have LoyaleTurbo2.7 as I  can clearly see it marked on the engine block :)

I am just wondering if you guys can take a look at the attached pics. There seems to be a hose missing and just an open ....hole... on the muffler assembly. Is that anything to worry about?

post-65382-0-32332100-1483236414_thumb.jpg

post-65382-0-01207300-1483236424_thumb.jpg

post-65382-0-01043200-1483236437_thumb.jpg

Gday Martin,

As Dyfol said, in Australia, when chasing parts refer to it as a L Series or Leone. All engine and suspension/brakes etc parts should in theory be the same between our Australian versions and the American version so as long as you put 1990 and EA82 as your search criteria on Rockauto you should be fine.

I see you are in Brisbane, there is a wrecking yard in Wacol that had quite a few Leones when I was there last. In regards to the Seatbelts, I just went out and eyeballed my 86 Leone (L Series Platform) and compared it to my 82 Brumby (MY Series Platform) that's in the shed, they appear to be the same only different colours. So if you go chasing a seat belt assembly at the wreckers, anything from about 1981 through 1994 weather it be a Sedan, Ute or Wagon should be the same (I rekon).

As for a workshop book, +1 for a FSM. I had a Haynes book that was good and went into fair detail, however it fell apart. Another Haynes book I bought too fell apart, they just seem to be put together hopelessly.

As for the hole in the exhaust, its only in the outer Catalytic Converter casing. Originally it would have had (dunno how to describe it really) this sorta couragated, alfoil-ish looking hose that runs from the Exhaust to the intake. The idea of it was to transfer radiant heat from the Exhaust to heat the Intake air up to make cold running a bit more stable. We don't need it here, so its nothing to stress about.

The missing hose is as Mr Hooneru describes, it gives the carby warm air to pull from when the engine is cold (typically on start-up on cold days, so given your location you have a good 6 months to ignore it). The carb air cleaner has a thermal switch that moves a baffle from engine bay to exhaust pipe based on ambient temperature.

Functionally the car will work either way just fine, but on a very cold day you might encounter fuel freezing if it wasn't connected up. You can also buy them from any SCA, Autobarn, etc, though they may be a special order now given the relative lack of non-FI cars on the roads (you will need to work out the length and diameter). And pick up a suitable clip to hold it to the bottom of the air cleaner, as chances are the clip is long gone with the hose.

I remember fitting one to a VG Valiant running a Hemi 6 a few decades ago and it made a huge difference in cold weather running, but I am in Vic (and the Hemi 6 is a large cast iron engine that takes a long time to heat up, the Subaru alloy engines are much quicker to get to standard operating termperature).

Thank you very much Hooneru and Dfoyl!! Put my mind at ease :)

And thanks again Hooneru, I am actually relatively close to Wacol (I live in a place called Ipswich, west of Brisbane). I'm pondering whether to go to Autobarn to get a brand new seatbelt assembly ($130) they have in stock which *apparently* suits my Leone. Or whether to get a secondhand belt (cheaper) which obviously might not be as safe. It is for a roadworthy certification too so it probably wouldn't hurt getting a brand new one.

@Dofyl

Luckily it doesn't get anywhere near cold enough, often enough, to warrant the hose I think. Where I live we'd barely touch 0 degrees maybe once or twice a year.

That being said, I think the engine bay might look a little neater with the hose connected, don't you think?

Is there anything bad that might happen if water were to enter the exhaust hole?

In Oz the screw on dizzy caps and rotors are only with the MPFI fuel injected EA82 engines. All other EA82s got the push on rotor button and clip on caps.

Other differences in parts - clutch cable maybe shorter for the US market and I believe the throttle cable won't fit our subarus over here.

There are differences between MY and L series seatbelts and buckles. They will fit but won't be the same as the other belts. And ensure you get the belt AND the buckle to ensure they'll work together ;)

Cheers

Bennie

In Oz the screw on dizzy caps and rotors are only with the MPFI fuel injected EA82 engines. All other EA82s got the push on rotor button and clip on caps.

Other differences in parts - clutch cable maybe shorter for the US market and I believe the throttle cable won't fit our subarus over here.

There are differences between MY and L series seatbelts and buckles. They will fit but won't be the same as the other belts. And ensure you get the belt AND the buckle to ensure they'll work together ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks for that Bennie.

Sorry to be a pest with questions, but I noticed something else that I hope someone can put my mind to ease!

I noticed a small ~7mm hose that has a hole in it that is hissing. I'm not sure if it's sucking air or pushing air, I've attached a picture. Any ideas? The hole looks like it's meant to be there, but it also looks like it may have had a hose coming from there which has broken off??

Cheers,

Martin

Well I figured it out, it appeared to be the vacuum hose for the aircon! The T piece had snapped off and the hose was flapping away freely. Great, I thought! Cos my aircon wasn't working properly and I thought this was the fix.

Wrong, it still doesn't work. It blows cold air but only blows at the feet? Doesn't change when I select face or windshield etc.

Interestingly, I needed to get behind the dashboard as my speedo wasn't working properly either (doesn't show speed travelling unless I tap the dash cluster a bit).

Upon looking at the vacuum hoses, there was four all hooked up correctly to the controller, but then there was also 2 hoses sitting there unconnected, no idea where they go?? Picture attached (lol sorry for so many questions!)