Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 engine upgrades non turbo

pro4

Hello , new here hopefully I am posting this on the right board . I have in the plans to run a subaru powered race car in 2017 . Everyone else has been running the ford 2.3 and the new thing is the honda 2000 . I myself seem to believe the 2.2 can be competive but I havent ran acrost  too many upgrades to these engines. I did find a aftermarket ballancer but that was about it . Is there a place that has aftermarket rods , cams ect ... ? Also any tricks ect to beef these up? Thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...

You can use a 2.5 crank in a 2.2 to to achieve 2.3 liters, or a 2.0 crank in a 2.5 to get to 2.3, I believe. You have to mix and match different rods and pistons to make it work out and I have only read about it, I have no personal experience but if you do some research you'll find info.

Delta does cam regrinds, techworks(http://www.techworkseng.com/Products/Subaru_Engine_Cams.htm) does stuff for the 2.5 and 2.0, but if you could use the 2.5 or de-stroke a 2.5 to 2.3 then they might be a good resource, according to them(check out the "news" "press release section on their sight) they were able to build a 300 hp N/A 2.5.  

Edited by quadrozontal

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replys. I have to weigh 1 lb per cc so 2.5 is out and would like ideally to be around 2200 lbs . I have done some research and found some nice h beam rods . I am having trouble finding a cam . Went with a 2.2 from a 93 legacy 2 port exhaust . I will try Delta cams and see what they say . This will be seeing around 8000 rpm .