Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member not new to Subarus

I have owned every Subaru model out there besides a brz. Done motor swaps on 99-2005 wrx,legacy,forester,two diff outbacks. Did a jdm ej205 swap on my wrx myself as well 30k miles on the swap 0 issues.

I'm running into an issue right now and it won't let me post a new thread anywhere but here. That being said it's a 2005 legacy car. Put a 99 outback ej25dohc block with the 2005 legacy sohc heads on it.(99 motor has bad valves 05 motor had cracked block) Everything is on no leaks car is running but has a serious tick at 1000k and up in Rpms. I used sti head gaskets when putting heads on dude to reading about clearance issues. New water pump pulleys timing belt etc. Used 2005 cam gears did all the right swapping just can't figure out what the noise is. Also starts idles fine once you drive it though and come to a stop it wants to die out due to low Rpms. I think the idle issue is CR difference and the ecu is retarding the timing due to that and it's dieing out. Idk the tick noise is driving me insane. Hitting 6k Rpms over and over and it's still there if it were valves hitting or pistons hitting heads something would have grenaded by now.