Ultimate Subaru Message Board

something got messed up not sure how. i had the remote start installed and working for the most part im 995 sure it was installed correctly. the locks were locking/unlocking the panic worked light flash and horn honk worked but it would not remote start. i had been messing with it for about 9 hours in my uncles garage and decided i was tired of messing with it and put the car back together so i could go home this is when something happened. before this step everything was fine with the exception that remote start was not working after putting the dash panel back in now when i start the car the at temp light flashes 16 times like its a solenoid failure but i do not have torque bind. what did i do? i cannot fond any blown fuses the car still drives right at temp light goes out after flashing fwd fuse does nothing but still i do not have torque bind.

sirtokesalot,

Maybe you should lay off the weed. (I couldn't stop myself.)

Seriously, you obviously have something miss wired and its feeding back through the system. You may have to remove the entire unit and start again from scratch, after you are certain the AT Temp situation is corrected. Or it may be that something in the remote start module is fried. Its so hard to diagnose from a distance. Good luck!

ok here we go. i currently have the remote start unit unplugged its in the car but not hooked into the car in any way. the at light is still flashing.

when the remote start was installed i had triple checked wiring diagrams for both the car and the remote start as well as verified they were correct with a multi meter on the car.

this is how i installed it.

main harness of remote start

3 of 9 wires used

black wire ground grounded though white wire pin 1 from original keyless unit plug.

white wire +/- light flash output wired through pin 11 on original keyless wire harness

brown wire horn output wired through red/green wire at harness from column

light green factory alarm disarm not used

green\white factory alarm arm not used

yellow ignition out to alarm not used

white\blue activation input not used

orange ground when locked anti grind output not used

red/white trunk release not used

remote start harness 4 out of 5 wires used

black/white neutral safety switch wired to ground through toggle

violet/white tach wired to blue wire at coil

brown brake shutdown input wired to white/black with silver dots at brake switch

gray wired to hood pin

blue white rear defogger not used

heavy gauge relay harness 5 of 6 wires used

pink output to primary ignition circuit wired to red/yellow at ignition harness

purple starter output wired to blue/red at ignition harness

orange output to accessory wired to red at ignition harness

2 red 30a input wires wired to black/yellow at ignition harness

pink/white output to second ignition accessory not used

door lock 2 wire harness

blue unlock wired through pin 9 on original keyless harness

green unlock wired through pin 1 on smaller original keyless harness

pins 4 and 5 on original keyless smaller harness plug were jumpered at the connector to make the drivers door lock/unlock with key fob.

i cut no factory wires i had male and female harnesses i cut from a junk yard car and made this unit capable of being unplugged from the car and possible to plug the connections back in  like it was never there witch is how it is right now.

Edited by sirtokesalot

good news i unhooked the battery for a half hour just hooked it back up and the at temp light is behaving normally now turning on for a brief second when starting then shutting off. back to square one get the remote start installed and working. can anyone verify if this is correctly wired from the information i have provided?

Edited by sirtokesalot

i have edited the wiring slightly in my earlier post so it mentions every connection. the system works not sure what was going on yesterday if anyone wants to install a remote start in a 1998 outback the wiring i explained above is correct.

Edited by sirtokesalot

• 2 weeks later...

quick update and question the remote starter has been working perfectly since the install however i learned that the rear defroster switch turns off when the key is shut off and does not turn back on unless the switch is pushed again. is there a way to bypass the switch so it will turn on when the car is remote started? my remote starter unit has an aux output wire i can program to turn on features like this but how would i wire it to make the rear defroster come on? currently i do not have the aux out wire enabled from the remote start unit as i did not think it was needed and figured i could just leave the switch on when i shut the car off.

the goal is to make the rear defroster run while the car is running off the remote start system but then after turning the key it would turn back off and i would have to push the switch to keep it going.

Edited by sirtokesalot