Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Drum Brakes... Where do the Springs Go?

So it's my first time doing drum brakes and I'm a little confused. The first side I took off I forgot how the return springs went, so I just followed my Haynes manual and put the springs in behind the shoes as in the picture.

post-54976-0-97391800-1482422566_thumb.jpg

However when I took the other side off, the springs were on top of the shoes.

Does it matter which way they go?post-54976-0-58371800-1482422632_thumb.jpg

So it's my first time doing drum brakes and I'm a little confused. The first side I took off I forgot how the return springs went, so I just followed my Haynes manual and put the springs in behind the shoes as in the picture.

However when I took the other side off, the springs were on top of the shoes.

Does it matter which way they go?attachicon.gif

If somebody else has been in there it is possible, even likely, they put it back together the easiest way, opposed to the right way. I converted mine to disks a long time ago, so I don't remember how the springs were, but what you have up top looks right to my shade tree eye. 

Hopefully someone else can give you the definitive answer you need. 

Dan

It shouldn't really matter as long as nothing is rubbing. If you are OCD and can't stand that they are on the wrong side then put the spring on the shoes first then carefully set the shoes on the backing plate and secure the retaining pins. Either way like I said as long as nothing is rubbing just do whatever is easiest.

• Like 1