Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with Forester axle replacement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Palouse Rider

Palouse Rider

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Spokane WA

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:29 AM

Can anyone help me with a step by step proceedure for replacing the front axle's in my '98 Forester. I have the axle nut off, but don't have a clue what to remove next in order to slide the axle out. Thanks.

#2 THAWA

THAWA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Sac

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:43 AM

You need to punch out the spring pin that holds the inner part of the axle to the differential spline. Afterwards, disconnect the front swaybar bushing if your car has one. Then remove the control arm from the steering knuckle. There's a bolt that holds it tight ytou can see it from infront of the car. Remove that, then use a prybar or something to pry the arm out. Now work the axel off the differential spline. You might need two people for that, but if you pull the control arm twords the ground, and push the knuckle to the ourside of the car you can pull the axle off. Installation is reverse. You're supposed to use new spring pins and all taht, and make sure you torque to factory specs. Also you should pick up a haynes itll explain most of this (though not very well).

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

Dave, I haven't done this on a Forester, but I would think it's similar to the earlier cars. Once you have the pin out of the tranny stub axle and the strut loosened from the rest of the front suspension, put the axle nut back on loosely (hand tight only) and then pull out on the hub until the axle separates from the tranny. After removing the axle nut again, the axle should just slide out of the splines on the Forester (hopefully, it's similar to the Legacy that I have done).

#4 Palouse Rider

Palouse Rider

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Spokane WA

Posted 13 June 2004 - 06:42 PM

THAWA,
Thanks for the help. It went well, just as you described. :) BTW, I don't think there is a Haynes manual available for the Forester yet.

Ed,
I had broken two 19mm sockets trying to loosen the strut nuts:confused:, with a breaker bar and a piece of pipe, but thankfully it was not necessary to loosen them.

#5 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:32 PM

Dave, I'm glad you're good to go. No longer an axle-virgin.

#6 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:45 PM

In this case, the procedure given in FSM (releasing control arm forward pivot, 17mm nut) is the easiest one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users