Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A while back I had a gift certificate for a free fluid service at a local transmission shop, so I used it for my '01 Outback. I am noticing now that the receipt mentions a leak at my "case connector." He estimate $275 to do the repair. It was really too long ago for any of them to remember my vehicle specifically. Do any of you have any idea what they might be talking about? I do have a slow leak that is starting to stink on my exhaust pipe, but the whole area is kind of greasy and I don't see any obvious source of the leak. I'd appreciate any ideas as to what this "case connector" might be.

ATF changes are usually done by a newbi/trainee.  If an actual transmission technician had looked at the leak, you would not have to ask this question.  There are a number of case connectors, each has a specific name and function.

I'd suggest that you get a can or two of solvent, such as brake cleaner, and some rags and clean the outside of your transmission case.  After a week or two, you should be able to find the leak.  Another trick is throw a little talcum powder are the suspected areas, this will spot light the leak very quickly.

'case connector' is not a familiar term, but I've found that many of Subaru's transmission pans start to leak over time.

I've had some success just snugging up the 10mm bolts/screws that attach the pan to the trans. There a bunch of them. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN them>>merely snug them up if loose. there's probably a torque rating on here/online somewhere.>>>try this: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/117134-trans-pan-bolt-torque/

Td

That's an ambiguous term for general communication. It doesn't mean anything on its own.

If it's leaking you've got the easiest problem to have, it's presenting immediate symptoms.

Someone needs to simply look at it and find it, defining that word will lead nowhere. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably simply the rubber hoses. $5 in parts and you're done.

Start with the two hoses under the MC (brake fluid reservoir). About 6" below that are two runner hoses clamped to metal lines attached and running to the transmission.

The pan should also be inspected, common leak point as well.

Rear seal at back of trans can leak

Torque convert would leak between engine and trans case.

The wiring harness can leak where it passes through the case.

Edited by grossgary