Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 forester manual swap

Dosmith05

I am interested in doing a manual swap in my 2000 forester.

I'm sure there are threads on this if someone could guide me or let me know if I can only use a transmission from a forester or can I get a trans and other components from a different models.

Thank you

The best way to do the swap is to get a manual forester parts car for cheap. Crashed, rusted out, etc. That way you'll be sure to have all the stupid little parts you don't realize you need from the junkyard.

Big items you'll need to swap are: trans, driveshaft, rear diff, trans crossmember, pedal box (clutch/brake pedal), clutch stuff on engine.

MAKE SURE TO USE MANUAL FLYWHEEL BOLTS!!!! They're longer than flexplate bolts as the flywheel is thicker.

With both cars side by side, it isn't a terribly hard swap, just move parts from one car to the other. If you haven't done the swap before you'll drive yourself insane when you forget some stupid bolt, bracket, or clip at the junkyard and can't figure out how it's supposed to go together.

• Like 1

Pretty much any EJ transmission will work as long as you make sure to get the matching rear end. I wouldn't suggest an outback or 2.5RS transmission, they have a shorter 5th gear which means pretty high revvs on the highway. Since it's a forester with bigger tires, you don't want a 3.9 transmission. I've done big tires on a 3.9, it's not ideal. So something out of a forester or legacy GT would be best (pre-04), the later ones work, too. But they don't have a speed sensor, so you need a converter box from the ABS.

98 and earlier transmissions only have 4 bellhousing bolts, whereas your engine has 8 bolts. This doesn't matter, you can swap those in just fine. You'll only have one starter bolt in this case, the torque from the starter goes through the mounting flange, not the bolt. There is a lot of discussion (often flame wars....) over this one. But I've done this swap many times, seen it done many times, never heard of a single issue.

If you get a transmission with a cable clutch that's also fine. You need to move the pivot to the other location in the bellhousing and source a hydraulic clutch fork.

I don't know what other forester years have a pedal box that will work, nor do I know if any EJ trans crossmember will fit, or if it has to be forester specific. You do, however, need a manual forester driveshaft. Impreza ones are the same length, but the offset on the center bearing is different.

Edited by 987687