Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior accessory light bulbs; dash, switches, buttons, etc. What sizes?

Y2K OBW.
I've been having a lot of illumination lights go out lately. Not too much of a bother because I know where everything is, but one of the dash cluster lights went out and its behind the fuel gauge. At night this is a problem because I cant see my fuel level until the dummy light comes on. I want to replace this bulb but I may as well replace all the others as well.
Does anyone know if they're all the same?

Here's a list of what's burnt out:

• dash cluster bulb
  • heated seat switch; illumination lamp and HI/LOW (orange) indicator
  • all lamps in drivers door switch cluster (window switches, lock button et)
  • cruise control push button on the LH side of the dash next to fog light and heated wiper buttons

There's a couple more I'm forgetting but those are the primary ones I'd like to fix.

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf replacement bulbs for those known areas. Id rather just buy a handful now rather than pull my dash and switches all apart THEN go hunt down parts.

Just about all, if not all of those bulbs are the same, and can be purchased at Radio Shack in a two pack for about $3. They are 12 volt mini bulbs with long wire pigtails. Do an online search and you'll easily find them. (last time I searched for them, that two pack cost $1.99, go figure.)

The same procedure in the dash lights and the individual switches for replacement. Take the switch apart, isolate the bulb and unwind its two pigtails from its holder and pull the bulb from its socket. If the bulb has a blue/green condom over it (thin rubber) peel it off carefully and put on a new bulb, insert the long pigtails through the socket, wind them the same as the old pattern, and cut off the excess.

In the dash, the plastic round socket turns a quarter turn counter clockwise and removes from the circuit board. Unwind the pigtails, remove condom, etc., just as previously described, and replace.

None of it is hard to do, but is time consuming.

Hint: when taking individual switches apart, use a large baggie. Dismantle the switch inside the bag with your hands inside the bag as well. This ensures that if a spring or contacts fly out of the switch at disassembly, that you'll be able to find the parts. Guess how I learned this trick? Good Luck!