Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy Y'all...NC newbie

Greetings from Western North Carolina,

Currently driving an '83 GL Wagon, suspension adjusted to max. height, rear disc brake conversion, and a few other cosmetic modifications. I spend as much time in the dirt as possible, mostly gravel roads in Pisgah National Forest, but some jeep trails when I can get away from the wife and two kids. My wife has an '03 Forester X (Blubaru) which we love dearly, and my four year old son is a hard-core WRC fan.

My wife and I are active members on subaruforester.com, and I am also on scoobymods.com and offroadsubarus.com (Australia).

I visited this board a couple of years ago before I was discussion board savy, and I stumbled across it again a little while ago and decided to join up, great gallery, and lots of informative posts.

Looking for others in WNC to go off-roading with.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Rallywagon we'll hook up soon.

Sweet82, I wanna' see your avatar better, is that your car???

Now that I've signed up, I've got no time to post, school, work, children........(repeat over and over)

I'll be moving to NC this fall (August or September), probably to Chapel Hill. Not exactly an offroad sub my wagon is, but it's probably good for me to get acquainted with some NC folk before hand. Welcome to the board!

P.S.: Yeah, Sweet82, you got a gallery anywhere??? If not, you better start one :P.

My wife and I are both artists, so that's why we're going for Chapel Hill. It's apparently a good place for that, what with UNC being there and all :P. How far are the mountains from chapel hill though? I don't suppose you know of a good online map for NC, one that shows the mountains? I'd be curious to know, as I am a skiier and hiker too.

I don't know off-hand of a good online map, shouldn't be too hard to find. We are about 3 1/2 hours west of Chapel Hill. No skiing in the immediate area but within a half hour, hiking, mtn. biking and paddling abound in the area, Pisgah National Forest.

Chapel Hill would be a great place for artists, however you may want to check out Asheville as well, cost of living is high in both towns, but either is a great place to live.:)

• 2 weeks later...

mentis - glad to hear you are moving to the great state of north carolina. chapel hill is a great town to be in. great college town which keeps you young. i live north of raleigh, nc in the town of wake forest. it is always good to have new soob owners moving to the east coast. later.

Thanks! Glad to hear from someone out there. You know, I was wondering if I could get someone to send me one of those apartment catalogs for Chapel Hill. Anyway one of you guys could get a hold of one without having to go to Chapel Hill?

WhooHoo, more NC Subaru freaks!!!

the goat, is there any off-road spots in the eastern part of the state??? My parents live in Cary so we are in that neck of the woods a few times a year.

September 25&26, there will be a Subaru meet in a place to be determined (subaruforester.com'ers), most likely here in the mountains, I'll keep you posted.

:cool:

WhooHoo, more NC Subaru freaks!!!

the goat, is there any off-road spots in the eastern part of the state???

:cool:

There are a few that I know a/b out east. There is Uwharrie NF that has lots of good trails to ride on. I haven't seen a subaru out there yet! When I was at NCSU there were a few trails we used to ride on. Is anybody up for a group ride?

yes, there are a few subaru owners here on the east coast. i am not far from cary (30 min.) i will check on some off-roading spots usually when you here about a place they immediately put up a sub division. keep me posted on any get togethers i would love to attend. i work at a resident camp and we have 4 soob owners on staff so i will get a group picture (of the cars) to put north carolina on the subaru map.

I am here. CHeck out this WNC Meet thread, I will be there.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6956834#post6956834

Originally posted by Templar

Okay,

When: 5pm, Saturday July 17th

Where:Marcos Pizzeria on Merrimon Ave.

Who: Any Subaru owner that wants to come and join in the.

Why: Because we can. :D

Originally posted by WJM

I am there. So i guess this place is easy to find...since ive not been there yet.....anyone got a physical address of the place to my lazy butt can MapQuest it in on the ole trip computer in my head. :alien:

ATTN Old Skoolers: If yall are comming I'll load up the RX and Wagon with parts, and be a vendor that day! :banana:

wish i could make it to the get together but my career choice has me working at a resident camp so my summers are pretty busy. my fall and spring schedule are much lighter so i will be on the lookout for future meet and rides. thanks. keep me posted.

Hello, I am all the way over on the east coast, 25 miles from New Bern or Washington NC. Kinda in the sticks so to speak. It is so good to see so many NC people on the forum, when I joined the original forum (before the big move) I think I was one of only three. We have three Subs, my 87 brat that I have had for almost 7 yrs., my daughter's 93 Legacy fwd we have had for 3 yrs. and my wife's 2003 Legacy. I can imagine that it is some great fun four wheeling in the mountains. Hope to see you all on the board frequentily.

bratman 2 - i am very familiar with that part of the state. i work for the ymca and we have 2 residence camps in arapahoe, nc (not far from new bern). i am out that way several times a year. the trip from raleigh to the coast on hwy. 70 is a nice little ride. maybe we need to plan a north carolina subaru gathering in the future with so many owners popping up on the message board.

Bump.........

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6956834#post6956834

Originally posted by Templar

Okay,

When: 5pm, Saturday July 17th

Where:Marcos Pizzeria on Merrimon Ave.

Who: Any Subaru owner that wants to come and join in the.

Why: Because we can. :D

Originally posted by WJM

I am there. So i guess this place is easy to find...since ive not been there yet.....anyone got a physical address of the place to my lazy butt can MapQuest it in on the ole trip computer in my head. :alien:

ATTN Old Skoolers: If yall are comming I'll load up the RX and Wagon with parts, and be a vendor that day! :banana:

Originally posted by E-Beth

It's on Merrimon where Fine Friends used to be; beside the Fresh Market. Not that that's helpful, but Mapquest still has it listed in its old location in the shopping center by UNCA.

Here's as close as I could find to a map.

40 West to Asheville.

Exit 53 B onto 240.

Exit 5A onto Merrimon/US-25.

Right onto Merrimon.

2 miles.

Look for the Fresh Market and all the Subies on your left.