Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a 2008 Outback Sport for $1603. I work at a dealership and I took this car in has a trade in.

one owner 200k but the owner was a travel nurse (Greg Focker) LOL.

The car has 200k but the engine was replaced with a EJ25 with only 30 K on it.

Problems- Loud Roaring sound, sounds like I have a hole in the exhaust. Mechanic said it could be the wheel bearings but he is not a Subaru Mechanic. It doesn't shake or steer to the left or right.

TPS stays on not sure why.

When you come to a stop, it revs to 3k then goes back to normal. Difficult to change gears it feels like the rpms drop really low every time i push the clutch in, IDK

And I have to replace the AC Compressor

Other than that Very nice car..

any thoughts and this is my first Subaru.

Edited by Ej25_Osport

Great Deal!

Yes loud roaring sound can be wheel bearings.  There may be no free play in the wheel but they can still be bad.  Check the hub after a trip and see if one is hotter than the rest.  If you pull the hub you can usually feel the roughness in the bearing when turning it by hand.

The neutral switch if most likely out on the trans.  The computer does not know when the clutch is in or out.  Easy to check.

what's wrong with the a/c comp? many times, Subaru owners replace a coupla o-rings, maybe the schrader valves, recharge the system to the amount listed on the label under-hood and have no problems after that. quite common for the suction and discharge hose connections to need o-rings.

occasionally, the clutch needs to be adjusted or a bearing goes bad.

rotors may be OK - read about 'uneven pad deposits' - even if they need replacing, as said fairly easy and not crazy expensive parts. I'd get Centric rotors from RockAuto or maybe amazon.

2008 should have HBA bearing - Timken from RockAuto would be my choice I think.

if the a/c system has not sat exposed to the atmosphere, get a junkyard compressor, 2 new o-rings and schrader valves inserts, 22 or w'ever ozs of refrigerant and fix it.

blower motor? dunno how hard to swap out, might be fiddly but likely not difficult. new cabin air filter while you're there.

you might find DIY threads and youtube videos for most of that work.

uneven length headers feeding the turbo is mostly what makes that distinctive sound.

a full swap of engine, trans and rear diff would be best. ' Impractical ' to just add a turbo to an NA engine.

you CAN make you car more fun to throw around the corners - weight reduction, stickier tires, heavier springs/antisway bars, etc.

"it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"

• Like 1