Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proper lubricant on brakes?

I have had a sticking caliper and sprayed the front caliper, etc. with WD40.  Someone said that WD40 only lasts a few weeks whereas silicone is long term for lubricant applications.  Is silicone the thing to use on parts that need to stay lubricated?

OK, the WD40 freed up the sticking brakes for a few weeks, then more problems. I sprayed it down again aleviating the problem for the time being. Will try other stuff, but prefer spray.

Why are you preferring the wrong product? WD40 is not recommended, needed, or used on any Subaru systems.

That's like using cooking oil for engine oil, mouthwash for coolant, tractor hydraulic oil for brake fluid, and elmers glue for cv joint grease.

It'll all "work" somewhat.

1999 and earlier you can use the green permatex. It doesn't last as long (maybe just in the rust belt?)? but you can use it. Shop across the street from my office doesn't like it either.

2000 and up, specifically any Subarus with rubber pin bushings on the pins - those need the purple stuff or SilGlyde or equivalent. Traditional greases can swell the bushings and they hang in the bore. These greases are superior to the green stuff mentioned above, they last longer.

Alternately you can throw the pin bushings away and run any grease you want. I throw the bushings away but still use the better greases as they last longer.

• Like 2