Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just put a new timing belt, water pump, and pulley on. I drove about a mile and then the subi started getting real hot.  Before it red lined I heard a very small click and the subi died. The timing belt is came off and is now sticking out of the timing case.  I did everything to a T according to alldata.  Can someone point me in the direction of where to start looking on what went wrong?  Thank you very much

I don't know anything about alldata.  Go by the FSM, plus experience from people on the forum.

Details needed. 

Which engine?

Did you replace all of the idlers and tensioner?

Did you use OEM or high quality kit?

Did you work ALL of the air out of the cooling system before going for a drive?  This is not a simple process, and a large air pocket is a likely cause of the overheat.

Wouldn't hurt to know mileage.  Have headgaskets ever been replaced? 

The only thing I can imagine that would cause overheating and timing belt breaking is if the water pump was compromised during install and couldn't rotate - the engine would overheat due to lack of coolant flow and the belt would slide over the water pump pulley and burn up and break. 

Otherwise, more normal issues would be:

Overheating - the coolant wasn't properly burped

Timing belt - pulley bolt broke, tensioner failed, or a bolt wasn't tightened enough.

They usually bend valves - get a set of used heads and resurface them:
www.car-part.com

Dave T.  All data is a program used in my shop, its like a online chiltons.  The engine is a 2.5l and there is 160,000 miles.  the timing belt was replaced at 75,000. I put on both new tensioners, the toothed idler gear and tensioner.  Plus water pump and gasket and thermostat.  IDK if the heads have been replaced. My sister just bought the car.  I didn't work the air out before driving it.  

1 Lucky Texan.  I remembered to plug in the fans.  I remember to pull the pin and i put a new thermostat in. at first I thought i put the new thermostat in backwards but i didn't. I didnt see any coolant from the TB case.

db 213.  It is an automatic.  

On a side note, if the waterpump was faulty, is the company responsible for the bill if I need to get new valves and heads?

Once i get my kids down for a nap I' going to go pull the TB case.  

Edited by tysons92loyale