Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Impreza bad oil leak left side.

I drove my daughter's 1995 Impreza in -40 F weather today and after a few miles there was a very strong odor of oil. I got it home and in the heated garage. Oil every where on the left side of the engine. The engine oil level is down a bit, not more than 1/2 quart. This is a 1.8 liter engine I believe.

The engine didn't make any unusual noise. If it were a head gasket I think one might hear something or have less power. So maybe some other oil seal has failed like a valve cover seal?

Just wondering what people think might be the most likely cause?

Can you post a picture?

Not at the minute. I put it outside in -36 temperature and it is dark now. But when I started it up to take it out of the garage there was no leaking. Engine ran normally no sign of a leak anywhere, no oil dripping on the ground. Everything appeared normal. We changed the oil about 500 miles ago but did not overfill it.

Of course verify the source - ATF, front diff, engine oil, power steering...if it's definitely engine oil:

Oil cap missing

valve cover gasket

passengers side cam seal or cam cap oring - this will be coming from under the timing cover and blowing back everywhere.

ouoi

Of course verify the source - ATF, front diff, engine oil, power steering...if it's definitely engine oil:

Oil cap missing

valve cover gasket

passengers side cam seal or cam cap oring - this will be coming from under the timing cover and blowing back everywhere.

Oil cap present, leak from driver's side, not from cv boot, or transmission or differential. Looks like from valve cover area

You mention passenger side cam seal. What about driver's side?

I just misread or mistyped side. Whatever side it's on is where the leak is.

Hard to tell from picks. It's leaking on top under the engine hood?

Did you check underneath?

Normally they leak from valve covers or cam seal. Both from the bottom of the engine, valve covers from valve covers will be dripping, cam seal will show oil dripping from behind black plastic timing cover on front of engine.

If yours is leaking on top - then replace PCV valve and any clogged PCV hoses.

Pictures and words are hard to work with but your leak may be underneath and not shown in the pictures. The oil signs in those pictures appear old, caked on debris built up over a long time, not dripping and pooling wet like I'd expect if you had a "trail of oil in the snow".

Look more closely underneath.

Find the wet dripping and follow its trail up and forward from there. (Forward since motion of car generally pushes oil leak back from the source)

Edited by grossgary

Temperature was up to about -10 today instead of -45 when the oil leak happened. I drove the car about 50 miles today without a repeat.

I suspect the pvc valve froze shut and pressure built up and forced oil out the dipstick. It may have been only a cup, but a cup of oil can make quit a mess. Anyway I replaced the pvc valve just now. The old one looked elderly.

Does that scenario sound plausible?