Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Heavy Duty" Cv Axles

that company has been around for a few months so at best you get a completely useless review of "it works and has lasted a whole 5 months"

new axles come out all the time, i'd just keep moving along unless you're absoultely cornered.

www.car-part.com, ebay, FWE, USMB usually can find an OEM right?

Edited by grossgary

I ordered what I thought/what was supposed to be EMPI's a while back. Surtracks are what came in the blue and red "EMPIRE" box. 

They lasted about a year. Granted these were for an EA81, but I won't be buying any more for anything I own.

You can always TOFTT :D  

Dan

subaru-flyer-yellow.jpg

Looks like a similar design to these.  I have a set on these on a lifted outback.  They work better than the stock ones if you have a lift. 

Heri doesn't make them for the EA82's.  Looks like this company is making them for EA82's, I'll give them a try.  I keep ripping inner

boots on my stock axles on my lifted EA82.

Here is a link to the company's web site:

https://www.trakmotive.com/2016-new-product-releases/

I saw the heavy duty ones also and was woundering the same thing my last axles I rebuilt them right out of the box with synthetic grease and silicone boots one died after 2 years and it was bad out of the box I just dident want to wait for a 4th axle to come In so I rebuilt it myself and the other is still on the car going strong the stock boots would were through the rubber in a few months they don't like mud and sand but the silicone boots are holding up great I might even reuse them I like the sound of HD though and with the silicone boots they might even last a while

I'd find an OEM but was wondering if this was a better product especially aince I'll be lifting. That diagram is almost enough to convince me but would love to hear a few more reviews.

how much lift? i'm sure you're aware, but axles generally take 2" lift without issues, if you're aiming higher then you install drop blocks.  i've used OEM and FWE (formerly MWE) on lifted Subarus without issues.  

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't resist I bought one I can't speak about durability yet but I can say it was the easyest axle swap ever the extra through in the shaft make it easy to install just compress the joint and there's more than snuff room to get it on to the stub I dident even have the right tools I had to use a punch to loosen and tighten the castle but and was done in about 30 min so even if they don't last any longer the ease of swaping them is worth the extra few dollars

• Like 1

One issues i did run in to because these axles are so much bigger to accommodate them slip yoke that they hit the crossmeber at full drop I haven't it figure out the best way to fix it yet I'll probably just drop the crossmeber another 1/2" or so

Edited by ferp420
  • Like 1

One issues i did run in to because these axles are so much bigger to accommodate them slip yoke that they hit the crossmeber at full drop I haven't it figure out the best way to fix it yet I'll probably just drop the crossmeber another 1/2" or so

Thanks for noting that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine. They seem awesome. 

They hit when the wheel is cranked one way but I don't think with tires it will actually be a problem. 

I have a set awaiting install. And am concerned about this? These axles definitely look beefy. Is that why you say they hit when at full lock?

It looks like the more beefy area is the inboard section of the axle. Can you tell where it is hitting when you are at full lock?

Thank you for your input.

Edited by 88SubieSnack

I think they suffer from the same quality control issues the other axles have mine was greese less when i got it again and was clicking out of the box again but they still have the lifetime warrenty so its not a huge risk if there only as good or last as long as the other style there still a very easy install so im sold even if i have to drop the crossmember a bit more to make them clear