Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Heavy Duty" Cv Axles

If your motor mounts are realy worn out or broken the motor can twist lifting one side of the motor and transmission and will bind a cv joint at best if it dosent rip it out of the cup completely

Does that ever happen to Subarus specifically?

Has anyone on here had that happen?

Seems odd for a company to design a part for vehicles with broken engine mounts.

The few with a completely separated engine mount I've seen had no axle issues.

"torque bind" floods any search with "bind" but google can't find any instances of it happening.

Which Subaru models or sitations does it happen in?

Being beefier in the shaft means nothing to us. There is no situation where you will ever break an EA81/82 axle shaft unless it's defective somehow. The strength in these particular axles comes with a higher angle of flex which reduces the abuse on the bearings and cage in the CV when it's at full flex. IE: All the way down and turning at full lock. The design is far better. All we can hope is they didn't use cheap sh!t bearings and cages or fail to adequately lube them. That'll be the only downfall. Almost every reman axle from a parts store uses cheap sh!t materials, and that's why there are so many issues. To add to our problem, Subaru designed the axles with a minimum degree of flex for some reason and that's a big contribution to failure when using cheap materials.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup I'll give it another try this time ill grease it my self and I'll drop the cross member a bit more it was bad out of the box but I didn't have a lot of time and was out in the desert and needed the car to work so I took it anyway oh well at least it's easy to change out