Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help spent $400 last week because of a blow n go  2 tow jobs and a lock out code 90 legacy 295k gotta make 300k me and dw  and dog coming home from dinner  car dies pull over  try to start get  that no compression  sound thinking timing belt .Tear apart  was a water pump[bads] caused timing belt issue  miss blow n go reading car is locked out .My fought im old cant see put belt on use arrow on crank gear [bbrrrr] wrong dummy pay $50bucks  to blow n go people for a lock out code good for 4 hrs  car   docent start .Find pictures w hat i did wrong .Tear back apart  put together crank gear mark at 12[arrows at 3  have to have towed to blow n go place to avoid  a violation you cant try to start it  push it in blow n go place they read it  thinking im cool im driving home  it dosent start have to have towed home again its getting spark as far as fuel i undid hose on fuel filter its right there  it had pressure any ideas  what it could be thanks bill

Check your timing marks again.

timingbeltdiagram.gif

Pic is from this post http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/97139-99-legacy-outback-25-jumped-timing-still-need-advice/

If you tried to start it a couple times with the timing off its possible it just flooded. Try cranking it with the gas pedal on the floor for 10 seconds or so to clear the cylinders of fuel.

Edited by Fairtax4me

thanks for the map i messed up the first time but i think i have it right this time  its  a1990 2.2 legacy thanks for the help but is there any other reason it wont start that i dont know about spark i pulled plugs  fuel is the pressure at the filter enough to verify that  thanks

If all your problems started due to water pump causing a failure [of what?], then the problem is in your work with the timing belt. Maybe you inadvertently disconnected the cam or crank sensor as noted above.  Or maybe your timing problem was caused by a bad tensioner, and you mistakenly thought it was the water pump.

Having fuel pressure before the filter is probably good enough although you can always check by squirting starter fluid into the intake.  It should start and run for 20 sec if fuel is a problem.

Whats this about not being about to try and start the car "to avoid a violation?"   We in the midwest do think the regulations in the coastal states are crazy, but not that crazy.  Edit: thanks fairtax4me for the explaination. 

ps.  Congratulations on getting to 295K miles!

Edited by mikec03

Blow-n-go is a breathalyzer.

I've worked on a few vehicles with them. Mechanics can get service access codes that last for an hour so the car can be started and test driven before and after repair, but for the vehicle owner it's not so easy.

If the timing is definitely right then either the cam or Crank sensor could have been damaged when the belt broke. Try checking it for codes maybe.

If you have a u-pull junkyard nearby those are usually easy to get and fairly easy to swap just to test.

With either one bad you could still get spark but it may not be in proper time.

Hard to tell in the pics but it looks like the drivers side cam may be off a bit. I see something just about 1/2" to the left of the paint on that drivers cam but can't tell if it's the notch mark or just a knick.

Are the notch marks under the paint on yours? Sometimes the notch marks are painted and sometimes not.

Did you remove the cam pulleys for any reason?

Isnt the main engine wire harness connector just above the drivers side head? Did you have to unplug that to get to the covers? If so did any dirt get in there? Any bent pins? They can also be a pain to get clicked back together all the way.