Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help ASAP please, broken drive shaft, axle or tranny mounts?

I had the exact same thing and it was the the short shaft between the axle and the trans that was bad.  Thought it was a bad tranny cuz the whole car was lurching around, but was the short shaft.  I see your front wheel spinning and the right wheel going.  That would fit.  

I had the exact same thing and it was the the short shaft between the axle and the trans that was bad.  Thought it was a bad tranny cuz the whole car was lurching around, but was the short shaft.  I see your front wheel spinning and the right wheel going.  That would fit.  

Im going to give it a shot, thanks!!

So I figured out what the problem is! I pulled out the axle and ran the test again with all wheels in the air and on D position and sure enough the clunking you hear in the videos is coming from inside the differential arghh!  :Flame:  ! I hope this helps someone in search for an answer to their clunking noise coming from the front suspension, in this case, the driver side. This bad bit*h is going to the shop immediately and will be back and rumbling! :popcorn:

Edited by louipaw

You still tried to help so that is what matters! Thanks for your time. I am either going to buy a new or used diff and replace it myself apparently it isn't that hard of a job or just take it to a well known local subie shop and have them rebuild the whole tranny at once.

If the front pinion gear is chewed up you're almost better off to just get a used trans.

It can be swapped but the trans has to come out of the car to do the work anyway. Changing a differential and pinion shaft isn't just a parts slap kinda job. Clearances have to be measured and pinionndepth and backlash has to be set properly or the new diff will just get chewed up and you'll be right back in the same situation in a few months.

• 1 year later...

I think my 01 Fozzy just developed this.  Daughter was driving it yesterday and big clunk, then a big clunk each tire rev that got worse apparently.  Got it towed home.

Jacked it up with all four wheels off the ground and in drive to do some testing and without engine load there is no noise.  Spinning the wheels by hand does not generate the clunk.  Once you give it some gas (~2k rpm) the wheels spin with enough power to feel the clunk.  I thought it sounded like a bad inner CV joint on the passenger side.  I replaced the passenger half shaft and the big clunk is still there.  

Edited by upnorthguy

Definitely not driveable more than a few feet without feeling like one of the wheels is going to fly off.  The clunk is very significant.  I had it towed home (I realize my statement that I "got it home" was way too generic!). 

For shiz and giggles, I'll install the FWD fuse later and see what happens.

After searching for a decent walkthrough of the 4EAT removal/install, I just finally found it in the FSM (it was in the engine section,  not the transmission or transmission/differential).  I think I'll be in the market for a used tranny.  I think best fit is a 4EAT from a 00-02, right?

Edited by upnorthguy

Both of these sound like the old L series auto box failures - the diff loses oil, pinion bearing runs dry and dies. The pinion shaft then walks itself into the diff centre. Can be a very nasty way to stop your car!

I'd be keen to see some autopsy pics to see what was causing the clunk.

Cheers

Bennie

On 4/21/2018 at 7:26 PM, el_freddo said:

Both of these sound like the old L series auto box failures - the diff loses oil, pinion bearing runs dry and dies. The pinion shaft then walks itself into the diff centre. Can be a very nasty way to stop your car!

I'd be keen to see some autopsy pics to see what was causing the clunk.

Cheers

Bennie

If autopsy pics become available I will certainly share!

Update: No "open body" autopsy was done.  Diagnosis was likely a bad pinion gear (or more) and the entire transmission was swapped.

Edited by upnorthguy
Update