Ultimate Subaru Message Board

advice about rebuilding EA82T

So the EA82T in my jdm wagon had a blown head gasket, or rather, it was intact but letting coolant be pressurised by the cylinder number 4.

So after pulling it all apart ( except for splitting the block) and getting a gasket kit, I'm going to rebuild it.

But, I've never rebuilt an engine before.

I've read service manuals, etc about doing it, but they all assume some kind of level of knowledge.

Any tricks about cleaning the faces, lubing bolts, etc that anyone can pass along?

If you're not having them machined I always hit the head gasket areas with a razor blade and finish cleaning them up with some red scotch bright and brake clean. Cam tower I use a small flat head screwdriver to clean the crevis out on the head side. Scotch bright has always been my friend. And don't be shy with gasket maker. Don't over do it, but don't use to little. I've always ran a thin layer on both sides of the valve cover gaskets, they always tend to seep if not. Probly just my luck though ;). These ea82 motors are pretty easy to work on in comparrison to others. Proper torque is key since all the threads are aluminum...

"rebuild" - that means you're splitting the block and addressing bearings, honing, crank, etc?

i think you might mean a head job or reseal right?  

get an FSM - the Subaru Factory Service Manual for that vehicle.  We have it hosted at subaruxt.com for a 1988 Subaru XT, same engine. 

resurface the heads like the thread GD wrote for this forum, then they're flat, the right finish, and clean.  they suck to clean anyway, just put the effort into resurfacing. 

block can be done the same way but much bigger and harder to work with. 

For cleaning the block they make drill attachments for aluminum surfaces for cleaning - roloc disc, they look like this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-07525-8-Inch-Tapered-Bristle/dp/B000FW2M1I/ref=pd_sim_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000FW2M1I&pd_rd_r=5TB9ZQPDK3CM16929XXE&pd_rd_w=w4icq&pd_rd_wg=eWOF9&psc=1&refRID=5TB9ZQPDK3CM16929XXE

Don't bear on one area too long

get Fel Pro headgaskets. 

I use a wire wheel in my drill to clean headbolts.  if you're having a machine shop do anything, just see if they'll set them in their parts cleaner for you. 

assemble following the FSM. 

Use Subaru intake manifold gaskets. 

Use a metal reinforced oring from Subaru for the lower cam case towers, do not use a regular oring.  Two per engine, one per side.